Letters of Recommendation after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nation

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So I'm in a bit of a bind for letters of recommendation. I have graduated from undergrad with a Kinesiology degree and I'm interested in applying to Dental, MD and DO programs in the states. The problem is the only good letters of recommendation I can get are from Kinesiology professors. My school doesn't have a pre-med council or whatever, and I don't really know my professors from previous hard science courses very well so I don't know if they would even write me a letter let alone how good they would be. I'm waiting for replies from a few schools I contacted in regards to this issue but I would like to have some input from others. I imagine other people must have had similar issues. Should I just ask old science profs even though they are practically strangers? Or is there something else I can do that I am not aware of...?

Thanks for the help!

Edit: I won't have a issue getting LORs from an MD or DDS, just profs at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
So I'm in a bit of a bind for letters of recommendation. I have graduated from undergrad with a Kinesiology degree and I'm interested in applying to Dental, MD and DO programs in the states. The problem is the only good letters of recommendation I can get are from Kinesiology professors. My school doesn't have a pre-med council or whatever, and I don't really know my professors from previous hard science courses very well so I don't know if they would even write me a letter let alone how good they would be. I'm waiting for replies from a few schools I contacted in regards to this issue but I would like to have some input from others. I imagine other people must have had similar issues. Should I just ask old science profs even though they are practically strangers? Or is there something else I can do that I am not aware of...?

Thanks for the help!

Edit: I won't have a issue getting LORs from an MD or DDS, just profs at this point.
Not sure what to say to this.

You should probably decide between DDS and MD/DO before worrying about letters of recommendation.

Did you do any research in school?
Did you participate in any extracurricular activities? If so, did you get to know any professors through them?
Did you get to know any of your basic science professors?
Did you get to know any of your non-science professors?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should probably decide between DDS and MD/DO before worrying about letters of recommendation.

Did you participate in any extracurricular activities? If so, did you get to know any professors through them?

Sorry, I must not have been clear enough in my original post. I'll answer these questions individually to clarify:

I'm working on it. But ultimately I'm applying to both.

No I didn't but I did do some extra certifications through kinesiology to become a certified exercise physiologist.

Yes and Yes. Kinesiology professors.

No. I took the basic sciences a long time ago and wasn't interested in medicine at that point so I didn't make the effort.

All my kinesiology professors are willing to write for me. The issue is whether or not that matters. Everywhere wants Science professors for your LORs. I'm not sure if Kinesiology profs will satisfy this requirement as some places may not count Kine as science. So in that case I need an alternate plan.

Would it be considered odd to get in touch with an old basic science prof who (probably) doesn't remember teaching me? Any other recommendations?

I've been in touch with a few different schools and so far many of them have said Kinesiology is fine. A few I'm waiting on seem iffy since they specify on their websites that they want a bio/chem/physics prof.

Thanks again!