letters of recommendation: can 2 sci letter be in any subjects?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Yogi Bear, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,

I'll be asking for recs pretty soon. i was wondering if 2 scie letters can be bio and physics, or does it have to be bio and chem? could it be 2 bio courses? does any school you've applied to specifical say that you have to have letters from a certain subject?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bump I'd like to know as well. :)

4. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Some schools specifically say (Jefferson does for example), and others don't (most don't). I have 4 Chemistry letters, and a History letter, and a letter from an MD I shadowed. Never had problems, but I didn't apply to Jefferson. :D

5. THE instiGATOR

THE instiGATOR Cow Tipper
    7+ Year Member

I think it is more important to get letters from profs who know you well than to try to fill a quota. Because I'm a chem major, I asked two chem profs who are pretty familiar with me for their assistance. I haven't had any problems...that I know of.

I did apply to Jefferson. Maybe that's why they wouldn't respond when I tried to schedule an interview around my MCPHU invite.

6. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I got 6 letters of rec

2 from humanity profs (history and anthro)
    1 from director of volunteering
    1 from supervisor at work
    1 from research/engineering class (biomedical eng)
    1 from engineering class (mech eng)

i didn't have any schools tell me i needed a science letter, such as bio/chem/physics (all of which i got B's in anyway)

(i did get an interview offer at jefferson)

7. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I would say that as long as the recommendation is going to be good, get the letter. I don't think most schools care if your science letters all come from the same area. I applied to Jefferson, and I think I was missing one of their requirements, and I still got an interview. I'm not even sure if it is a big deal there, because only one person is responsible for sending out interview intvites and she reads the entire aplication.

8. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen

Attending Physician
    jalbrekt,
    your sig file has a typo.

the -> they

9. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

also, is it ok to get a rec from an english class where you got a A- (english seminar).

oldman:

how come you got 6 letters? were you applying MD/PhD or something cuz I think my school says 4 is max.

10. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by coenocyte:
    <strong>also, is it ok to get a rec from an english class where you got a A- (english seminar).

oldman:

how come you got 6 letters? were you applying MD/PhD or something cuz I think my school says 4 is max.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i got 6 cause i wanted to get the 4 letters (2 science and 2 non-science), but then i realized that i could get a letter from my boss at work and from the director of volunteer services at my school. also the pre-med advisor for biomedical engineers said we should ask for 6 cause they will probably toss out 2 of them.

11. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

MOST schools are not nearly as strict about their letter requirements as they appear on paper. Don't worry about it, but contact the schools in question, if you must.

12. Vader

Vader Dark Lord of the Sith
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    At most schools, it does not really matter which scientific discipline the letters come from. Like others said, it is much more important that they know you and can really vouch for your academic ability and potential as a future physician. The general rule is you want at least one from a science and at least one from a non-science professor. Make sure you comply with the specific requirements at the schools to which you apply.

Good luck. :D