Letters of recommendation -- customizable per school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc.Junior

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Wondering if my letter writers have the ability to tweak their letters for different schools, or is it that they can only upload one letter to AMCAS that goes to all schools? I have a few different people who could sign a letter at one place, each alumni of different schools. So, it might make sense to switch them out/add co-signatories, or drop small details that are school specific. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you going to get a committee letter of recommendation? If so, you'll only be able to provide one version of your letter to your premed committee, but you will be able to submit supplemental letters directly through AMCAS.

If you're unable to get a committee letter for whatever reason, it will allow you more flexibility. You can request whatever letters you want through AMCAS and assign letters individually to schools.

There's a couple caveats: if you choose not to get a committee letter so you can do this, that's not a good idea as schools will wonder why you didn't get one. And also you know your letter writers best, but don't ask too much from them...

Are you going to get a committee letter of recommendation? If so, you'll only be able to provide one version of your letter to your premed committee, but you will be able to submit supplemental letters directly through AMCAS.

If you're unable to get a committee letter for whatever reason, it will allow you more flexibility. You can request whatever letters you want through AMCAS and assign letters individually to schools.

There's a couple caveats: if you choose not to get a committee letter so you can do this, that's not a good idea as schools will wonder why you didn't get one. And also you know your letter writers best, but don't ask too much from them...
Thanks. I will be getting individual letters, since I'm a not-traditional applicant. I didn't see an option to attach to individual schools though.

Check this video at about 6 minutes (or just watch it through, might be useful)

Reactions: 1 user