Letters of Recommendation FOR the committee letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciestar

All grown up!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I were deciding I would choose these:

Non-Science
1. The professor I TA'd for two years. (this one has already been written)
2. My professor for my biobehavioral health class (on pharmacology, not sure if that makes it science/non science...anyway) - I had a crisis in the middle of the semester, so she got to know me and helped me work through it and I beasted her class.
3. My music teacher. He also got to know me pretty well. I tend to be a talk when it comes to one-on-one so he got to know me personally as well as my academic goals and drive.

4. Pharmacist boss (not sure how useful that would be - but it's for the committee)

Science
1. My academic adviser
2. My professor/head researcher for my plant anatomy class
3. My physiology/anatomy professor - i had him three times and at a LARGE university, getting to know your teachers is hard. He kind of gave me a push I needed into medical school

4. My developmental genetics professor
5. My comparative anatomy professor - I'm iffy on this one because I am not sure if he knows me by name, but he knew who I was in class and complemented my knowledge of the material.

Definitely include your research advisor. You could do the genetics person/your advisor, but only if you really want 3 science letters. Most schools only ask for 2 science and I've bolded the ones I think are strongest. If you add a 3rd I would go for the genetics professor over your advisor unless your advisor taught you for some course too.

For non science, I think getting the music letter is interesting and makes you other interests stand out in your application. The next strongest one is the professor who saw you overcome obstacles.

I also like the TA letter, but a large part of my interest/identify/application/experience is various forms of teaching and tutoring. If this isn't a large part of you application you don't need this letter.

My committee asked for at least 3, no more than 6, and most people gave 4-5