Letters of Recommendation Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deltasidearm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most medical schools require 3 letters of recommendation (coming from faculty who have taught you), a couple require 5, and several cap the number of letters you may send to 5. I am also aware that the quality of the letters and what angle of my person they capture is more important than the number of letters sent. That said, I have asked for letters from the following people:
A nurse that I work with (I'm a PCA in MICU/SICU)
The faculty advisor for the American Chemical Society Student Chapter at my university (I am heavily involved and am the president), who I have also been the TA for for two chemistry labs
My research mentor, who has also taught three of my upper division classes
Note: these three represent the three most important activities on my application

My analytical chemistry professor, who I have been a TA and tutor for and is also the head of my department
A committee letter from the pre-health advisors at my university (they also happen to know me quite well)

I am a little concerned that I only have two letters coming from professors who I have had for lecture, although I know every letter will represent my character in a different light and be high quality. I would like to ask for another letter from my organic chemistry professor, who I have also been a TA for and would again be unique and high quality, but I am concerned that I will have too many letters then. It's also worth noting that the faculty letters I do have thus far are STEM-field, but none of my non-STEM classes would be nearly as high quality in terms of my character (most have been online with very little contact with the instructor). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I know most medical schools require 3 letters of recommendation (coming from faculty who have taught you), a couple require 5, and several cap the number of letters you may send to 5. I am also aware that the quality of the letters and what angle of my person they capture is more important than the number of letters sent. That said, I have asked for letters from the following people:
A nurse that I work with (I'm a PCA in MICU/SICU)
The faculty advisor for the American Chemical Society Student Chapter at my university (I am heavily involved and am the president), who I have also been the TA for for two chemistry labs
My research mentor, who has also taught three of my upper division classes
Note: these three represent the three most important activities on my application

My analytical chemistry professor, who I have been a TA and tutor for and is also the head of my department
A committee letter from the pre-health advisors at my university (they also happen to know me quite well)

I am a little concerned that I only have two letters coming from professors who I have had for lecture, although I know every letter will represent my character in a different light and be high quality. I would like to ask for another letter from my organic chemistry professor, who I have also been a TA for and would again be unique and high quality, but I am concerned that I will have too many letters then. It's also worth noting that the faculty letters I do have thus far are STEM-field, but none of my non-STEM classes would be nearly as high quality in terms of my character (most have been online with very little contact with the instructor). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If you limit the schools you apply to that don't explicitly ask for a non-science faculty letter, how many does that leave on your list?

Have you considered taking a brick and mortar class this summer (or late spring, if you're on the trimester system) in order to get the needed nonscience letter? If your last LOR doesn't show up til end of August, you won't have serious negative repercussions to the success of your application. And one mediocre letter won't be an issue for you if the others are strong.

You also have the option to petition med schools for a waiver of the LOR requirement, but your excuse of too many online classes probably won't get a lot of traction.

If you limit the schools you apply to that don't explicitly ask for a non-science faculty letter, how many does that leave on your list?

Have you considered taking a brick and mortar class this summer (or late spring, if you're on the trimester system) in order to get the needed nonscience letter? If your last LOR doesn't show up til end of August, you won't have serious negative repercussions to the success of your application. And one mediocre letter won't be an issue for you if the others are strong.

You also have the option to petition med schools for a waiver of the LOR requirement, but your excuse of too many online classes probably won't get a lot of traction.
Thank you, that was helpful.