Letters of recommendation help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ascg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I plan on applying June to medical school . I understand I will be applying through the Amcas. I want to start getting letters of recommendation from professors. How many should I get ? So far I have a few letters from over the years( 2 or 3 volunteer letters). Do I aks the professor to submit the letters to me or hand them in the my premed advisor( or comitee) so he can combine all the letters into one ? I have one or two letters that are full page and detailed , it would be a shame to cut it out and combine with other letters. What and how many letters do i submit to amcas. please clarify......

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what the requirements are for the school(s) that you are applying to. The general requirement is:
2 science professors
1 non-science professor
1 physician you've shadowed/worked with
1 research/volunteer/coach

Again, this is a general (and safe) list that satisfies most of the requirements...but each school is different.

If you have recommendations this early, I would suggest signing up for interfolio or some other online recommendation site, and ask your professors to directly upload their recommendations (you will get more information on how to do this once you sign up).

Or, when May 1 comes around, you can ask them to directly upload their letters to AMCAS (better choice, IMO).

It depends on what the requirements are for the school(s) that you are applying to. The general requirement is:
2 science professors
1 non-science professor
1 physician you've shadowed/worked with
1 research/volunteer/coach

Again, this is a general (and safe) list that satisfies most of the requirements...but each school is different.

If you have recommendations this early, I would suggest signing up for interfolio or some other online recommendation site, and ask your professors to directly upload their recommendations (you will get more information on how to do this once you sign up).

Or, when May 1 comes around, you can ask them to directly upload their letters to AMCAS (better choice, IMO).

OP mentioned a committee letter - that is what you need to get, otherwise it is a red flag.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi thanks. So i need only one comitee letter? I want to know what and how many letters i should be putting together?

The committee will ask for whatever it wants and schools will generally accept the committee packet to cover all letter requirements.

Some may also want a character reference with the committee packet (South Florida), but requirements may not be 100% hard and fast. For 99% of schools the packet is sufficient.