letters of recommendation problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just because of the screwy way things are happening with me right now Im getting to do the pre health thing at my school a bit later. I had applied to do it last spring and turned in everything but I was never called upon. Either because they didn't think I was a very serious candidate or whatever.

Anyways, I go in now after talking to my pre med advisor so he can get teh ball rolling for me but for the paper work I have to deal with his secretary. After finally getting to talk to her Im told that the letters of recommendation I got last spring are "too old" and that I need new letters of recommendations. Aside from the fact that I believe thats bs, Im in no position to do much about it.

So I managed to get one of the professors to write me another one. I wasn't very sure about my 2nd science professor LOR and tried finding this other professor to write me one. But unfortunatly he denied me because he didnt want to write LORs for anyone who didn't work with him in his lab or something.

Im not very good at creating relationships with professors as I ineract a lot with my TAs. So at this point I believe Ive only got 1 science professor LOR. I know I need a 2nd.

Would it be alright to maybe ask one of my graduate TAs to write one? I had a biology lab TA who basically taught and graded me?

Members don't see this ad.

You have to check with the schools to which you are applying. Many say that it is okay if a TA writes it as long as the letter is co-signed by a Ph.D. or Professor. If the letter is really strong, I don't think they will mind that much, but if the letter is an okay one, then it might be better to get an okay letter from a prof instead. If you still have time before you need to send in the letters, go make some prof friends! Go to their office hours, come up with smart questions before hand, find out about their research and ask them interesting questions about it (profs can go on for hours about their research and they'll love you for wanting to listen.) Find out if they eat lunch on campus, and then go out and eat with them. I'm sure you'll find someone who is willing to write you a positive letter. Good luck!

i dont have the time really since I have sent in some applications already and need for my pre-med advisorry office to send in they're stuff, ie transcript, committe interview letter, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would strongly recommend against having a TA do your LOR. They are not looked upon as a favorable thing to have in your file. Please, for the sake of maintaining a great looking application file, find someone else to write your LOR.

Yeah, I talked with my pre med advisor today about my situation and said it was just a horrible idea. He was as confused as I was about the date thing and the letters of recommendation. So he said he would look into it.

I have a feeling that he might write me a LOR as well since he was my biology II professor and currently a professor of mine in a neuroscience class. He doesn't often write LORs anymore because of his involvement with the pre med committee but I am hoping he'll make me do the huge favor of writing one.

Ive never been very good at creating relationships with professors. Fortunatly he is one of the few I would consider to have a good relationship.

I just wish a sociology professor of mine could count as a LOR.