letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supertherapiss

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm non traditional and need to know how to send my letters of recommendation. Do I have my professors send them directly to the schools? or do i collect them, make copies of them and send them to the schools myself? I would like to do it the most official way possible but I just do not know how? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

One thing you don't do is make copies of them yourself and send them to the medical schools. As a rule and as they should, medical schools distrust letters that do not come from the author directly in an official college envelope; they even prefer, or sometimes require, them from the premedical advisor or committee in official college envelopes, or if there is no advisor or advisory office, the individual writers themselves should write on official college stationary, posted in offical college envelopes. If multiple copies have to be made, faculty have free access to copiers. You should provide postage to the evaluator if requested, but posted official college mail, in college envelopes, is paid for by the college.

There is reason for their caution: enough times in the past applicants have written their own recommendations and been caught at it! Fakery is even easier these days with computers and copiers. Admission folks are neither naive, stupid nor unwary.

I agree with Gower. Also, check to see if you're undergrad school has a letter of rec sending service or a pre-med committee. I was 4 years out of school when I applied and used my pre-med committee for the entire process. You don't have to be a cirrent student to use those services. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also used my school's pre-med office. It is indeed true that medical schools prefer to have a letter sent directly from a "secure" place, i.e. forget about sending them yourself.

Aside from what's already been said, one thing you can do is wait for the secondaries and get your letter writters to fill out those forms that accompany the secondary application. :cool: