Letters of Recommendation ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rtcmurr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to apply for the 2006 cycle. My question about the letters of recommendation is this: Do I need to wait until the AADASAS application comes out in May to get my LOR's? Does the letter of evaluation matching form need to be filled out by the person that is writing my LOR?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No, you don't have to wait till May to ask for LOR. It is good to ask the professors ahead of the application opening date as it usually takes them awhile just to have time to write the LORs. I don't know when AADSAS will have the 2006 LOR matching form online, but if you already have professors set, then you can just print the 2005 matching form and change the number.

The matching form is pretty straightforward. The only thing you need from them is their name to be addressed. Otherwise, all other information can be filled in entirely by you.

What I did for mine was also to include a summary sheet of what documents (LOR + matching form) to be included in their letter and the AADSAS address. Also I would include the date when they should mail it (when the application date opens) because you don't want them to send it too early and get AADSAS all confused and make a mistake.

Good question. Bump.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you can use your school lettering service, i would recommend you do that also. then you don't have to worry about aadsas or anything.

hey yeah my school has a lettering service where they get all your rec's and one huge rec based on the others and send them in. does it really matter how this is done?

I too am preparing for the 2006 cycle. Ive read a few different opinions on here. There was another thread talking about some online service where you can have your LORS submitted to them and then they (some company) send all the letters out to the schools.

My question...if we go through a lettering service at school, or have out teachers mail them out themselves, should we mail out one copy to aadsas or should we also have them sent to each school individually

and if we do go through a lettering service, via school or some company, would they include all the required supplement forms that are on the aadsas app?

sorry if theyre dumb questions, thanks people!

zackyfarms said:
I too am preparing for the 2006 cycle. Ive read a few different opinions on here. There was another thread talking about some online service where you can have your LORS submitted to them and then they (some company) send all the letters out to the schools.

My question...if we go through a lettering service at school, or have out teachers mail them out themselves, should we mail out one copy to aadsas or should we also have them sent to each school individually

and if we do go through a lettering service, via school or some company, would they include all the required supplement forms that are on the aadsas app?

sorry if theyre dumb questions, thanks people!

I don't know much about this new online service. It was originally made for Medical school student use, and just recently has been made available to pre-d-students. I'd go with this service, or the school's LOR service, and NOT send them out yourselves. You have to consider the possibility that there's a chance that the cycle you're aiming for may not pan-out, and might have to re-apply. By sending out original LOR's yourself, you will no longer have those letters to resend the following year should you have to... and you gotta go through the process of buggin people again for another one, or a new person for a new one. The lettering services, be it school or online, will always keep the original copies on file and send duplicate copies to the school, so you can re-use them again for another year if you have to.

If you go through the school, you sign one matching form which will represent all your LORs and hand it into the health prof. office. They'll choose the best 3 letters and sign the matching form when they send out those letters.

I'm guessing that the online thing does the same.