Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Letters of Recommendation

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by The Ween, Jun 14, 1999.

1. The Ween

The Ween Junior Member

I have been out of undergrad for four years now. Do I still need to get letters from 2-3 professors? I plan to get one from a D.O., one from an M.D., and one from my current employer. Any suggestions?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member

Have you taken any classes recently? If so, ask the professors for a rec letter. What kind of work do you do?

4. The Ween

The Ween Junior Member

I took some graduate courses three years ago, so I will probably call some of them. It will be tougher now though to try to jog their memory of me!
    I currently work for a managed care company. I negotiate reimbursement structures with both hospitals and physicians. I know, I'm the enemy right now, but I'm trying to switch sides!! [​IMG]

5. Synergy

Synergy Member

Most schools (MD & DO) don't require a letter of recommendation from professors if you have been out of school for a while, but you'll want to check with the individual schools. Usually letters of rec from employers and others associated with you in more of a professional sense or community way should suffice. If you can get the professor recs then I would do so if they will give you a good one. I would approach them asking them if they can give you a good, positive rec. If they hesitate, then by all means go elsewhere. You can't afford a bad or mediocre letter of rec.