SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Letters of Recommendation

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by The Ween, Jun 14, 1999.

1. The Ween

The Ween Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 13, 1999
    I have been out of undergrad for four years now. Do I still need to get letters from 2-3 professors? I plan to get one from a D.O., one from an M.D., and one from my current employer. Any suggestions?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 11, 1999
    Have you taken any classes recently? If so, ask the professors for a rec letter. What kind of work do you do?

4. The Ween

The Ween Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 13, 1999
    I took some graduate courses three years ago, so I will probably call some of them. It will be tougher now though to try to jog their memory of me!
    I currently work for a managed care company. I negotiate reimbursement structures with both hospitals and physicians. I know, I'm the enemy right now, but I'm trying to switch sides!! [​IMG]

5. Synergy

Synergy Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 7, 1999
    Most schools (MD & DO) don't require a letter of recommendation from professors if you have been out of school for a while, but you'll want to check with the individual schools. Usually letters of rec from employers and others associated with you in more of a professional sense or community way should suffice. If you can get the professor recs then I would do so if they will give you a good one. I would approach them asking them if they can give you a good, positive rec. If they hesitate, then by all means go elsewhere. You can't afford a bad or mediocre letter of rec.