Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lachee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I hope I can get help in the following:

(1) I am a non-traditional applicant (applying next year), working as a respiratory therapist and taking classes full-time. Is there a part on the application that we can write down the hours we work at jobs like that. Without my work, I cannot survive, but, in a way, I do believe my work has jeopardized my school work a bit. Will the admission committees take into consideration the exact hours one put in for work every day/week?

(2) I noticed that most school requires a letter from a DO and 3 letters from science faculty (if your school has no pre-med advisory committee). Is this rule strictly enforced? My good recommendation will come my boss at the hospital, the person that I did research for and from a science professor. Do you think I can substitue them for the 3 recommendation from science faculty?

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Lachee,

Some schools only require 2 letters from science faculty members and one D.O. Letter. Other schools require no D.O. letter and 3 faculty letters. Other schools even require 3 faculty letters and 2 D.O. letters of which one may be substituted by a member of the clergy, etc.

Here is my advice. You've got 2 good letters of recommendation. You need to secure at least one D.O. letter. I am sure you have contacts working as a respiratory therapist. Perhaps you should shadow a D.O. you know personally for a week to be even more sincere.

I would put together a nice C.V. listing everything you've done since your graduation from highschool even including your hobbies. I would then print a bunch of copies and go around to various professors who taught classes that you did well in or found a connection with the professor, or both. Stop in their office with your C.V. in your bag. Explain your situation and ask them if they would do you the honor of writing you a strong recommendation for medical school. I know it seems a little abrupt to ask for a strong recommendation, but you don't want someone writing you a letter if it is going to be wishy-washy or weak. From there, offer him your C.V. to aid him/her in the letter writing process, and try to give a date of completion that you need the letter(s) by. I think it is best to say something like... 3 weeks...

It proved to be a very effective means for me to secure all of the letters I needed... And they were strong, well written, and quality letters.

I don't know if my advice applies to your situation, but I wish you the best of luck.

Originally posted by Lachee:
•Hi All!

I hope I can get help in the following:

(1) I am a non-traditional applicant (applying next year), working as a respiratory therapist and taking classes full-time. Is there a part on the application that we can write down the hours we work at jobs like that. Without my work, I cannot survive, but, in a way, I do believe my work has jeopardized my school work a bit. Will the admission committees take into consideration the exact hours one put in for work every day/week?

(2) I noticed that most school requires a letter from a DO and 3 letters from science faculty (if your school has no pre-med advisory committee). Is this rule strictly enforced? My good recommendation will come my boss at the hospital, the person that I did research for and from a science professor. Do you think I can substitue them for the 3 recommendation from science faculty?

Thanks a lot!•••

Lachee,

I am also a nontrad that applied this year. I have been out of school for over three years and have not been working in a healthcare field. I shadowed a DO and he wrote me a letter of recommendation. For the other letters, I had a former Battalion Commander (I am active duty Army) and a good friend of mine that happens to have a Education Doctorate. These were enough to get two interview invites and acceptance at one school. The whole science faculty requirement is not hard and fast, in fact I believe the DO schools are more lenient for us nontrads. Good luck applying next year.

Ben