letters of recommendation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emtji

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

regarding letters of recommendation for applying into radiology, how bad an idea is it to get two letters from radiology people. Id rather not get a letter from one of my third year rotations, though one could potentially be good, but i was wondering if it would be a terrible idea to have, of my three letters, 2 from a radiologist and 1 from a sub i. alternatively, i could do 1 from a radiologist, 1 from a sub i and 1 from a third year rotation.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

emtji said:
hi,

regarding letters of recommendation for applying into radiology, how bad an idea is it to get two letters from radiology people. Id rather not get a letter from one of my third year rotations, though one could potentially be good, but i was wondering if it would be a terrible idea to have, of my three letters, 2 from a radiologist and 1 from a sub i. alternatively, i could do 1 from a radiologist, 1 from a sub i and 1 from a third year rotation.

thanks!

I don't think it really matters where you get your letters from but rather, it's more important what is in your letters. I would pick the letters that are absolutely beaming! Those would add the most "oomph" to your application!

It probably doesn't matter as long as - as previously mentioned - they're good letters, but if you want to be particular, then I wouldn't get any radiology letters. Or, if you do a radiology letter, then it should be a 4th one on top of the standard 3 LORs.

Program directors realize that on most radiology rotations students don't typically spend more than 3 or 4 days with any given group of people. Plus, there's very little opportunity to be involved as a student on radiology. A letter from a medicine or surgery attending is going to go a lot further in terms of convincing people of your clinical acumen.

The only exception might be if you spent an entire month doing just interventional radiology with the same handful of folks or the like. Then definitely get a letter from that rotation.

thanks everyone....
i've got a lot to think about now....