SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Letters of recommendation

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by grad01, Sep 6, 2001.

1. grad01

grad01 Junior Member

Sep 5, 2001
    West Coast
    I graduated in Spring 2001 and am out of touch with Sci Professors.
    All the schools that I'm interested in ( U Penn, Tufts, Temple, U of Chapel Hill)all seem to require them. They seem to discourage those of us who've been out of shool for a couple of years.
    Any advice is appreciated
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. chocobo

chocobo Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2000
    If you graduated Spring 2001, that's not too long ago. You can e-mail a sci prof whose class you've taken (& did well in) and ask whether they can write you a letter of rec.

None of my sci profs knew me, but I e-mailed them and scheduled an appointment to see them with my resume, transcripts, etc. I think I turned in my physics prof's letter of rec to most schools. I doubt his letter was personal (dont' know since I never read it) since he didn't know me. But none of the schools ever asked me about it, or any of the other letters for that matter. So not to worry, even if your sci prof letter is not so personal.
  4. al

al Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 30, 2001
    I agree with choco. I'm still in undergrad, and I never knew my professors. Alot of professors will never get to know their students, but a lot of them will still write letters. you should just email professors (expecially ones where you received good grades), inform them of your intentions for a dental education, possibly a short explanation on how a recommendation from them will help you (e.g if an anatomy professor, it will convey that you have sufficient aptitude or pre-requisite knowledge for the emphasis put on gross anatomy, etc in dental schools), and be able to provide them with some kind of personal statement (i used my aadsas personal statement), college transcripts, resume (emphasizing any significant work experience/community service), and offer to make a visit to his/her office hours to further explain your background (most of the time, written information is sufficient). overall a professor may not know you, but if you offer all of these things (and any others you find important about yourself), the professor will be able to write a letter that is longer than one paragraph because he/she knows you a little better. Also, if you're not confident about your stats, and you think there's a possibility that a professor will not be able to write a good letter, address that professor to decline writing the letter if he/she feels that you are not suitable for a career in dentistry after looking over you information. I've had several friends who applied to grad schools (med and dental), and found out that a professor wrote a "bad" letter- letters that do not recommend, and in fact,are written to inform schools that the applicant is NOT qualified or suited for that school. A few professors can be a&@# holes like that, it happens. Good luck