Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sigma Cronos

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, it's been several months since I've asked for letters of recommendation. One out of three have been uploaded as of today. How do I go about prodding the other 2 letter writers without being rude or intrusive?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

If you have their email address (and you know they check it routinely) you can drop them a line saying how you understand they are busy, but you wanted to remind them about the letter of recommendation they agreed to write. Also tell them if there are deadlines you are trying to meet, and ask them to let you know if they are going to be unable to meet them (hopefully you have back up options if this is the case). Give that at least a week for a response, then you can think about talking to them in person. You can track them down where they work, or make an appointment. Ask them if there is any additional information they need to complete your letter, mention any deadlines, and again give them the opportunity to back out. If that still doesn't work, there isn't a lot you can do that won't come across as pushy. You should probably just cut your losses and seek other letters at that point.

Several months is definitely a long time, so you can send your letter writers a follow-up email or phone call without appearing rude. I would let them know that you have an application deadline that is fast approaching. Alternately you can have someone from your Dean's office send them an email. GL.
"Dear Dr....
Thank you so much for agreeing to write a letter of recommendation for my residency application. I wanted to know about the status of my letter as the application deadline of some of the programs are very close (November 15). I would appreciate it if you could have my recommendation completed by then. Thanks again.
Sincerely,
BestMedStudentYouEverHad."