Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrangeStorm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I don't feel any of my biology professor could write me a strong letter, but some schools specify a letter from bio professor. Did anyone have the same problem with me? Do you know if I can get away with a letter from my anatomy and physiology professor instead? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I don't feel any of my biology professor could write me a strong letter, but some schools specify a letter from bio professor. Did anyone have the same problem with me? Do you know if I can get away with a letter from my anatomy and physiology professor instead? Thank you.

most schools just want letters from science professors, what type of science doesnt really matter. it should be from a prof that knows you well. your A&P professor should be fine. at most schools A&P is considered a bio course, unless you took a nursing A&P class.

The A+P course I took was offered by College of Human Science which required by my major. I know Tufts wants one letter from bio, one from chem.

Members don't see this ad :)
The A+P course I took was offered by College of Human Science which required by my major. I know Tufts wants one letter from bio, one from chem.

call tufts and ask if an LOR from your A&P prof is ok.

yea most schools just say 1 letter from "pre-professional committee" or 2 letters from science professors. i also want to get a letter from my employer since he knows me so well, but the thing is i work in pharmacy...so do you think that committe would feel weird if i get a letter from a pharmacist since i interested in dentistry. My advisor told me not to get a letter from pharmacist, but all my friends say that its not gonna hurt you to get a letter from pharmacist as long as he can describe your interests in dentistry & your skills.
I would appreciate any help! thanks!!

yea most schools just say 1 letter from "pre-professional committee" or 2 letters from science professors. i also want to get a letter from my employer since he knows me so well, but the thing is i work in pharmacy...so do you think that committe would feel weird if i get a letter from a pharmacist since i interested in dentistry. My advisor told me not to get a letter from pharmacist, but all my friends say that its not gonna hurt you to get a letter from pharmacist as long as he can describe your interests in dentistry & your skills.
I would appreciate any help! thanks!!

try getting one from a dentist you shadowed.

yea i am getting 1 from dentist that i shadowed, 1 from my bio II prof, I am still looking for 1 more science prof...want to get from higher level like gen micro (which i will be takin during summer). But i also wanted to get from a different field...like employer....so that my letter of recommendations would cover all the skills that i have in different field like studies, working, shadowing...etc. but i am just worried because i dont want the commiittee to think i am interested in pharmacy....dont know what to do...i m in dilemma!!!!!
thanks anyways!

Sorry didnt realize i was in my sister's account...this message was from mstoothlady2012 to dmd2011 (not from dr2011)

yea i am getting 1 from dentist that i shadowed, 1 from my bio II prof, I am still looking for 1 more science prof...want to get from higher level like gen micro (which i will be takin during summer). But i also wanted to get from a different field...like employer....so that my letter of recommendations would cover all the skills that i have in different field like studies, working, shadowing...etc. but i am just worried because i dont want the commiittee to think i am interested in pharmacy....dont know what to do...i m in dilemma!!!!!
thanks anyways!

Sorry didnt realize i was in my sister's account...this message was from mstoothlady2012 to dmd2011 (not from dr2011)

thanks anyways!

i think that will be ok, if its an employer.

I suggest you check the schools you will apply to. However, generally the most I've seen where I applied was three science LORs. One school specified three LORs from any combination of bio, chem, physics, math profs. Loma Linda also requires one from you minister/pastor/spiritual advisor. If you can get one from a dentist you've shadowed which supports how many hours you've shadowed and what you've seen this is also good.

I suggest you check the schools you will apply to. However, generally the most I've seen where I applied was three science LORs. One school specified three LORs from any combination of bio, chem, physics, math profs. Loma Linda also requires one from you minister/pastor/spiritual advisor. If you can get one from a dentist you've shadowed which supports how many hours you've shadowed and what you've seen this is also good.
thnx!

I had my voice teacher (because I am a double major in music and biology), the preprofessional committee at my school, and my dentist write recommendation letters. I felt that my voice teacher knew me the best and could attest to all the hard work and effort I had expended, along with my achievements in music. I had no problems...

anatomy is biology

chemistry is not

physics isn't either

go from there!:thumbup: