letters of recommendation

Started by armybound
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

armybound

urologist.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will not be using my school's pre-medical committee since I'm out of school for when I reapply next year.

What do you guys use? Do you do that online service (I forget the name)?

How do the online services work? Do your letter writers give you the letter to scan & upload or do they log in and deliver the letter themselves?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
that's the one.. thanks

do you happen to know of institutions that won't accept these?

hmm.. looks like the 1 school I want to take it (Vanderbilt) won't take it..
Interfolio is the best thing about the whole app process short of getting an acceptance. Seriously, it's a little pricey, but it's worth every penny in terms of peace of mind.

BTW, unless they've changed their policy recently, Vandy *does* take LORs through Interfolio. I applied there and submitted my LORs using Interfolio in summer 2005 with no problem. As far as I know, there are no schools that don't accept Interfolio. For TX schools, the only one I applied to was Baylor, and they took it as well. Did you actually see it on the Vandy website that they won't take LORs through Interfolio? I would be pretty surprised, because I can't think of any reason why they'd have stopped accepting them.
 
I actually checked Vandy's site and it does say they accept Interfolio. I was looking at Interfolio's website for the schools which electronically accept them and Vandy wasn't on the list. I guess they just do it the old-fashioned way.

I'll have to sign up for one of these soon and get a couple of letters in there.
 
I actually checked Vandy's site and it does say they accept Interfolio. I was looking at Interfolio's website for the schools which electronically accept them and Vandy wasn't on the list. I guess they just do it the old-fashioned way.

I'll have to sign up for one of these soon and get a couple of letters in there.

armybound, I thought you were already in med school?
 
A lot of Universities will still provide premedical service for recent graduates.
Its worth checking out.
 
There is also VirtualEvals. I used Interfolio, and I did have a problem with my first choice school only receiving the cover page of my letters. I'm not saying that they are unreliable, but I would certainly recommend following up with schools should you not be marked as complete in a timely fashion.
 
I will not be using my school's pre-medical committee since I'm out of school for when I reapply next year.

What do you guys use? Do you do that online service (I forget the name)?

How do the online services work? Do your letter writers give you the letter to scan & upload or do they log in and deliver the letter themselves?

I recommend still trying to use your pre-med committee. You were once a student so you have earned their services. You will be a file folder even if you were there. Worst case scenario if you use it is that you might have to take a coupla trips back to the alma mater (for the interview, face to face update, etc.) And the rest can be done by Email

If interfolio doesn't work, you can try virtual evals. Are you sure your school(s) won't accept (did you call and ask?). In answer to your question-yes, the online services make everything seem legitimate (signatures and confidentiality)

Good luck
 
I have seen a portion of my pre-med committee's evaluation of me and it was less than flattering. It was also written over 3 years ago and I don't think it's representative of who I am today.

unfortunately, they won't re-write their letter, just re-send the old one. I don't really need a weak LOR at this point.