Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeffy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Search is down so I'll just go ahead and ask. Where do the 5 letters of recommendation need to come from exactly? 2 from a science prof or soemthing like that? Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need to have 5 LORs. The general rule of thumb is to have 2 LORs from science profs and 1 from a non science as most schools will usually ask for this combo(3 total). However, the more you can get the better. 5 would be great. I had 3 LORs from science profs, 1 from a non science, and one from a volunteer coordinator. As long as you have the 2 science and 1 non science you should have the basics covered for most schools. Any other LORs you get can come from whoever.

also want to add that if your school has a pre-med committee, most schools will require a letter from them too.

Members don't see this ad :)
As of now, I have 2 science letters (1 from O-chem and 1 from Cell Biology)...I also have one from a non-science professor (college writing). Is that okay or do you think having the bare minimum is a bad thing? I can definitely ask for more, but I feel that the ones I have now will be pretty dang good...

dreamin,

that sounds pretty good, like you should have all your bases covered. the only thing i might add is a letter from a research mentor if you did research, or a volunteer supervisor, or advisor of an organization you were active in perhaps. just something to say that you're a good person outside of academics too.

Originally posted by dreaminOfMD>.<
As of now, I have 2 science letters (1 from O-chem and 1 from Cell Biology)...I also have one from a non-science professor (college writing). Is that okay or do you think having the bare minimum is a bad thing? I can definitely ask for more, but I feel that the ones I have now will be pretty dang good...

Its not a bad thing to have only 3. However, if you can get more that would be good. Make sure they aren't just fillers though. But if you have 1 or 2 more strong letters it would be better. Remember, there is strength in numbers. The more people you have saying you are the greatest thing since sliced cheese, the better. Like I said though...just make sure they aren't "filler" letters that don't say much about you or just say that you received an A. Thos letters are worthless anyways.

Originally posted by Louweezel
dreamin,

that sounds pretty good, like you should have all your bases covered. the only thing i might add is a letter from a research mentor if you did research, or a volunteer supervisor, or advisor of an organization you were active in perhaps. just something to say that you're a good person outside of academics too.

I agree... You want your other letters to show other aspects of your personality. A letter from your research prof or volunteer coord. is great.

is it a big issue if the letter is from a class where i didn't get an A? Just seems like that's the norm.

I have a question also about LOR's I am getting one from and MD I work with(doing research), one from a PhD I did research with and on professor I had early in my college career. I know him very well. Do I need one other from another professor since I only have one that was truly a professor. I am also planning on getting a letter from my club adviser for my non-science since I have worked very closely with. Help please. I can get one from another prof but I doubt it will be that personal. I also have a commitee letter. Please help

Thanks

i don't think it's even an issue at all if the letter is a strong one. make sure that you have clarified with your prof though, that he/she can write you a STRONG letter of rec, not just a letter. A good letter writer won't even mention that you didn't get an A, but could focus more on your ability to work hard, dedication to the class, perseverance, exceptional participation, you get my drift. the schools will all see your transcripts anyway. they'll know what class you got an A in or not. So just make sure the letter focuses on all your good aspects, and you should be fine.

Originally posted by Quagmire, M.D.
is it a big issue if the letter is from a class where i didn't get an A? Just seems like that's the norm.

Well...I'd imagine that you want your letters to show you are the best thing since Nutella. A B does not show you are the best thing since Nutella(since you could have gotten an A but didn't). While it is probably not unheard of to get a LOR from a prof that gave you a B, I would try to get an equally strong letter from a prof who gave me an A. The LORs are aspects of this application process you control. Make sure you demonstrate that you are the very best through them.

But hey...if thats the best you can do or you somehow feel that the LOR will be just as strong as a LOR from a prof who gave you an A, then go with it.

I would advise against it though if you have better options available.

maoeris,

that is wonderful that you will have letters from people who know you well. Those should say volumes about you. However, I would check with the schools you are planning on applying to. The only reason I say this is that I came across some schools that specifically said that you needed two letters from people who taught you in a LECTURE class. I think this may have only been one school, but you should probably check on it.

You might also want to get the other prof letter because you will obviously have your research capabilities and all covered very well, but schools also do want to see how you perform academically in the view of your professor, and in relation to your peers.

Just something to consider, although the decision is ultimately up to you.

Originally posted by UCLAMAN
Well...I'd imagine that you want your letters to show you are the best thing since Nutella. A B does not show you are the best thing since Nutella(since you could have gotten an A but didn't). While it is probably not unheard of to get a LOR from a prof that gave you a B, I would try to get an equally strong letter from a prof who gave me an A. The LORs are aspects of this application process you control. Make sure you demonstrate that you are the very best through them.

But hey...if thats the best you can do or you somehow feel that the LOR will be just as strong as a LOR from a prof who gave you an A, then go with it.

I would advise against it though if you have better options available.

This is definitely something to consider though too. You need to make sure the letter would really say that you would be a stronger candidate for the spot than others. Ooh and I do LOVE Nutella :)

Originally posted by Louweezel
This is definitely something to consider though too. You need to make sure the letter would really say that you would be a stronger candidate for the spot than others. Ooh and I do LOVE Nutella :)

Nutella IS great isn't it? :D :D :D

LOL UCLAMAN..."greatest thing since sliced cheese, nutella...", and i've heard you say cheese whiz before too. :laugh:

this is a pretty cool thread going here, with louweezel and uclaman as our advisors. thanks guys. :thumbup:

i don't know if i've already told you uclaman (and anybody else who can help out, please post) about the lor situation from ucla. you mention not getting additional letters as "fillers". well, i was gonna get a letter this quarter (at the end of course) from a professor, but i do definitely think it'd be a "filler" for sure. i've been to office hours a couple of times, asked questions in class, and just pretty much "tried" to kiss butt. however, i don't feel any real positive feedback from the professor. i'm pretty sure he'd write me one, but i feel that it'd be more of a "form type", "filler" type of thing. the only reason why i'm CONSIDERING getting one from UCLA at this point is because it might be an issue to med schools...like the letters from the professors at my other college (CC) won't be good enough. i do believe however, that the letters that i have thus far are ones that will be extremely "glowing". it comes from the hard work i put into those courses, and 16 weeks of getting to know professors in a class of no more than 35 students. those professors were always able to observe each student and take notice on our strengths and weaknesses.

with ALL of that being said, i can definitely get another dang good letter...it just won't be a letter from ucla. i can also do my best to get one from ucla, but i don't think it'll do me much good besides the fact that it's a letter from a "UC" professor...:rolleyes: if that's so important, why can't i just get a letter from my general chem professor who was also working at UCI while teaching at the CC?

Originally posted by dreaminOfMD>.<

i don't know if i've already told you uclaman (and anybody else who can help out, please post) about the lor situation from ucla. you mention not getting additional letters as "fillers". well, i was gonna get a letter this quarter (at the end of course) from a professor, but i do definitely think it'd be a "filler" for sure. i've been to office hours a couple of times, asked questions in class, and just pretty much "tried" to kiss butt. however, i don't feel any real positive feedback from the professor. i'm pretty sure he'd write me one, but i feel that it'd be more of a "form type", "filler" type of thing. the only reason why i'm CONSIDERING getting one from UCLA at this point is because it might be an issue to med schools...like the letters from the professors at my other college (CC) won't be good enough. i do believe however, that the letters that i have thus far are ones that will be extremely "glowing". it comes from the hard work i put into those courses, and 16 weeks of getting to know professors in a class of no more than 35 students. those professors were always able to observe each student and take notice on our strengths and weaknesses.

with ALL of that being said, i can definitely get another dang good letter...it just won't be a letter from ucla. i can also do my best to get one from ucla, but i don't think it'll do me much good besides the fact that it's a letter from a "UC" professor...:rolleyes: if that's so important, why can't i just get a letter from my general chem professor who was also working at UCI while teaching at the CC?

You can probably tell what I ate while watching the Lakers game tonight. ;)

Just make sure the UCI prof highlights the fact that you are capable of UC level work and that he mentions that he is also a prof at UCI and therefore can attest to that. I see your concern about having a letter from a UC though. I figure if the best you can do is get a "filler" type letter from your ucla prof...then maybe you should just send it in also. I mean as long as it isn't a negative letter it can't hurt, right?

To be honest, one of my science letters was probably a "filler" quality letter. The prof let me read it before sending it to the career center. He tried his best I suppose by asking for a resume and hobbies, etc.

As long as it is still a positive letter you may still want to ask for it. Hopefully the prof will ask for a resume, hobbies, interview you maybe, somehow take the time to get to know you a little better. Ask him if perhaps he(or she) would like to interview you to get a better idea of what to write.

Lucky you...I had celery and carrot sticks during the game. BTW, I couldn't believe Devean George came back so fast...I thought his injury would've kept him out longer than that...ANYWAY back to the topic...

Yes, I'll probably just go ahead and get the UCLA letter, AND the letter from the UCI dude. ;) Here's another thing...as Quagmire said, do you HAVE to get an A in the class? I have a cell class right now that I might get a B in...I'm not sure, the first professor was f#$@ed up. The quarter has 3 professors teaching...each with his own 3rd of the course and midterm. Can I get a letter from one of those professors? I mean, if I aced his portion of the course but not the full course b/c of the first exam...I don't think ANYone did good on the first exam...what a nightmare.