Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rehabman28

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do all schools require at least one letter to be from a pharmacist? I am applying late this year to Florida A and M and they require one to be from a pharmacist. I don't know that many pharmacists well enough to have one write a letter. However, I am a physical therapist and worked in the healthcare field, which is how I know I want to go into pharmacy. How has everyone else handled this situation? Thanks!
 
Do all schools require at least one letter to be from a pharmacist? I am applying late this year to Florida A and M and they require one to be from a pharmacist. I don't know that many pharmacists well enough to have one write a letter. However, I am a physical therapist and worked in the healthcare field, which is how I know I want to go into pharmacy. How has everyone else handled this situation? Thanks!

No, a lot of schools don't even require letters of recommendation. Anyone can write them and they don't really tell us a lot about the student, but that's my opinion.
 
Not all schools require them - It is however a VERY POOR idea if they don't.

I want to see a great LOR from your Organic / Physics / Science whatever professor stating you have the mental capacity to be a XXXX.

I want to see an LOR from a pharmacist saying you have the ability to be a pharmacist. I want to know if you can, in their professional opinion (which can only come from a professional in said field) how likely it is that you will succeed (and why).

It is in your best interest to get that LOR. Get into a pharmacy, forge that connection, and develop that mentor.