Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rehabman28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do all schools require at least one letter to be from a pharmacist? I am applying late this year to Florida A and M and they require one to be from a pharmacist. I don't know that many pharmacists well enough to have one write a letter. However, I am a physical therapist and worked in the healthcare field, which is how I know I want to go into pharmacy. How has everyone else handled this situation? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No, not all schools require a letter from a pharmacist.

Do all schools require at least one letter to be from a pharmacist? I am applying late this year to Florida A and M and they require one to be from a pharmacist. I don't know that many pharmacists well enough to have one write a letter. However, I am a physical therapist and worked in the healthcare field, which is how I know I want to go into pharmacy. How has everyone else handled this situation? Thanks!

No, a lot of schools don't even require letters of recommendation. Anyone can write them and they don't really tell us a lot about the student, but that's my opinion.

Not all schools require them - It is however a VERY POOR idea if they don't.

I want to see a great LOR from your Organic / Physics / Science whatever professor stating you have the mental capacity to be a XXXX.

I want to see an LOR from a pharmacist saying you have the ability to be a pharmacist. I want to know if you can, in their professional opinion (which can only come from a professional in said field) how likely it is that you will succeed (and why).

It is in your best interest to get that LOR. Get into a pharmacy, forge that connection, and develop that mentor.