Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjjdm1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am planning on applying to both the D.O. school and all of the M.D. schools in Texas. There is a common application and I can only submit five letters to it, and my premedical advisor told me that I cannot change the letters based on the schools. The D.O. school might actually be my top choice, although it is a toss-up between that program and one M.D. program. To be competitive at the D.O. school I feel like I need to submit a letter from a D.O. This makes me wonder about the five letters I need to get because two need to come from science professors and I think one needs to come from an accounting professor (which was my major). Do you think that despite the lack of an M.D. letter these letters will be good enough to get me interviews at M.D. schools? I feel like the rest of my application is worthy. Also, I have tons of M.D. shadowing experience through a previous job, but I don't know if I will be able to get a letter from one of them or not because I don't know how to contact them now (it was in a pediatric ER....maybe I should be really dedicated and have a kid ;)). These are my letters:

1. Pre-Professional Advising Commitee Letter (combination of pre-med advisor and various pre-medical professors at my undergrad U)

2. Genetics Professor: Made an A in his class and am signed up to do research this summer and fall

3. Organic Chemistry professor

4. Accounting Professor

5. D.O. (not sure who yet, could end up being internal med or cardiologist)

--I could also get one from a hospital administrator or possibly several M.D. surgeons on a mission trip I went on if needed.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I am planning on applying to both the D.O. school and all of the M.D. schools in Texas. There is a common application and I can only submit five letters to it, and my premedical advisor told me that I cannot change the letters based on the schools. The D.O. school might actually be my top choice, although it is a toss-up between that program and one M.D. program. To be competitive at the D.O. school I feel like I need to submit a letter from a D.O. This makes me wonder about the five letters I need to get because two need to come from science professors and I think one needs to come from an accounting professor (which was my major). Do you think that despite the lack of an M.D. letter these letters will be good enough to get me interviews at M.D. schools? I feel like the rest of my application is worthy. Also, I have tons of M.D. shadowing experience through a previous job, but I don't know if I will be able to get a letter from one of them or not because I don't know how to contact them now (it was in a pediatric ER....maybe I should be really dedicated and have a kid ;)). These are my letters:

1. Pre-Professional Advising Commitee Letter (combination of pre-med advisor and various pre-medical professors at my undergrad U)

2. Genetics Professor: Made an A in his class and am signed up to do research this summer and fall

3. Organic Chemistry professor

4. Accounting Professor

5. D.O. (not sure who yet, could end up being internal med or cardiologist)

--I could also get one from a hospital administrator or possibly several M.D. surgeons on a mission trip I went on if needed.

I had only 1 letter from a physician and it was a D.O. letter and I've been accepted to both DO and MD schools....no worries and good luck!

Awesome! That's exactly what I wanted to know!

Would you mind telling me what your other letters were so I can get a good idea how mine stack up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! That's exactly what I wanted to know!

Would you mind telling me what your other letters were so I can get a good idea how mine stack up?

i had a committee letter from my undergrad which included the D.O. letter, a letter from my gen chem professor who also knew me from outside the class (was involved with an ec of mine), and a letter from my research mentor at the summer internship i did my junior year

separately from the committee letter i sent in a letter from a grad-school professor who was the former dean of my grad program

my committee letter included 3 letters and was actually only counted as 1 letter...i'm not familiar with the texas application but maybe you might be able to add 1 extra letter in?

Yeah maybe you're right. I know I have to have to submit the two science professor letters to the committee. It's just confusing knowing whether those included as part of the "One letter" or if the advisor is just going to submit them all separately. I am interviewing with two people on the committee already and the advisor is compiling a letter with them so I thought that was the "one letter" that the committee meant...I don't know! They need to be more clear!

Thanks for the responses they were very helpful!