Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soolow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have some quick questions about letters of recommendations:

-Who should I ask? Professors? the place where I do volunteer?

-Do letters from bio/chem/ochem professors look better?

-I've never had anyone write a letter of recommendation for me. How should I go about it?

-How many do I need?

Thanks and sorry for the noob questions!

Members don't see this ad.

it depends on which schools you are applying to, so you should look on their websites to be sure or call and ask. In general, i think most schools want two letters from science professors and one from some other professor. and then it is also good to have a letter from a dentist you shadowed. you should find out if your school has a pre-professional committee that will put together a packet for you with a cover letter. I just went up to my professors and asked them if they would be willing to write a letter of recommendation for me. If the professor doesn't know you all that well you should ask them if there is anything you could do to make it easier for them (i.e. give them your resume, sit down and talk with them about why you want to go to dental school....). The pre-professional advisors at my school gave me packets to give to each of the professors that I asked for recommendations, telling them how they should format the letter etc.

I just have some quick questions about letters of recommendations:

-Who should I ask? Professors? the place where I do volunteer?

-Do letters from bio/chem/ochem professors look better?

-I've never had anyone write a letter of recommendation for me. How should I go about it?

-How many do I need?

Thanks and sorry for the noob questions!
I think you need 3 from professors and 1 from dentist.