Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IL Pre Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Regarding LOR, I know a few professors can write me some now but I don't have my AMCAS ID yet, I was wondering when is the earliest I can sign up on AMCAS so I can get my ID and they can include that on the letter. Also what's the AAMC ID? Is that my username I used to sign into MSAR and the AAMC site?

Members don't see this ad.

Regarding LOR, I know a few professors can write me some now but I don't have my AMCAS ID yet, I was wondering when is the earliest I can sign up on AMCAS so I can get my ID and they can include that on the letter. Also what's the AAMC ID? Is that my username I used to sign into MSAR and the AAMC site?

If you sign into the https://www.aamc.org/ website and then up at the top click, My Account and that will show you your AMCAS ID. The new round opens June 1 and the associated materials become available at the beginning of April. Letter of recommendations shouldn't be submitted before May 1 when the application becomes available otherwise they might be discarded.

Your username is not your AMCAS ID. AMCAS ID is an eight numerical character string.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Your username is not your AMCAS ID. AMCAS ID is an eight numerical character string.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

but my AMCASID is dabombpremed. you can choose your own you know.

Sally Susan (dabombpremed) would make an excellent doctor because...

Okay I see my AAMC ID now, it's a bunch of numbers, but will this number by my AMCAS ID as well? On the AAMC site it says to include both AAMC ID and AMCAS ID in the letters of rec. I just don't want to have my professors have to re-submit letters because that's kind of a hassle.

Letter authors must include your AAMC ID and AMCAS Letter ID found on your Letter Request Form when sending letters, regardless of how they are submitting the letter.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/63226/faq_amcasletters.html

One more thing, I want to give my writers an outline of things to talk about. I found this on one of the school websites and I feel like it covers everything you'd want in a letter. Did you guys give your writers info on what you wanted them to cover or how to write LOR for medical school? I feel like these letters can't be your average run of the mill letters, they need to be higher quality.

The letters should address one or more of the following: character, integrity, motivation for medicine, ability to relate and communicate with others, personality, emotional stability, intellectual abilities.

One more thing, I want to give my writers an outline of things to talk about. I found this on one of the school websites and I feel like it covers everything you'd want in a letter. Did you guys give your writers info on what you wanted them to cover or how to write LOR for medical school? I feel like these letters can't be your average run of the mill letters, they need to be higher quality.

Everyone's approach is different, but I basically asked all my letter writers if they could write me a strong letter of recommendation. I gave all of them my personal statement and CV. For the ones who I knew were experienced letter writers, I didn't really give them anything else. But one of my letter writers told me that she wanted to write me a fantastic letter but didn't really know what the med schools were looking for in the letters. So I did give her a list of qualities that med schools like in their students, and then she told me she could definitely write a strong letter for me.