Letters of Recs Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JP2740

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already had 3 letters of recs written and I told the teachers it's for medical school, and only recently have I decided that I might want to apply for md/phd. I still have my medical school professor who I've been doing research for 2 years and a clinical researcher/doctor who hasn't written me one. Will this be a problem?

Members don't see this ad.

You should have letters from every PI with whom you've done research, unless you have some special reason why not or worked with so many PIs you can pick and choose.

So go ask that person for a letter.

Yea but should the letters be directed towards the md/phd path or can it just be general for medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the teaching prof letters are irrelevant. But I think it helps demonstrate your commitment by having your research letters demonstrate "why md/phd". Which, of course requires them to be addressed directly to md/phd.

I made the switch too, after my letters were written. I had my letters from researchers rewritten specifically recommending me for md/phd. I did not have the letters from profs rewritten. I got a good amount of interviews.

I have a question along similar lines. What if one of your profs is familiar with your research-- by that I mean that they have heard you present your project to them. Would you also recommend those letters be geared a recommendation toward MD-PhD? Thanks.

Your letter should def be geared towards why you'd be a good md/phd student from the beginning.