Letters without letterheads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

ratman7

do all recommendation letters need to be written on official letter heads? Some organizations I work for, they do not have official letterheads because they are not "large organizations". Can I still submit a letter from them that is not on a letter head?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school. Some say they will only take letters on letterhead and some truly mean that.

I would ask these smaller organizations if they could at least draft up the letter with their logo at the top or something. It doesn't need to be super fancy.

Also make sure they are signed as many schools require a signature too.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a school reject a letter not on a letterhead, I didn't find out until like 4 months after I sent the application and they emailed saying it was incomplete. The only way to know is to literally call each school and ask their admissions department. The lame part is we do not have access to our letters, so I had no clue that even happened.

Members don't see this ad :)
Somewhat related question, but: do letters of recommendation have to be dated?

some schools, again, might require it. I've seen requirements that letters can't be past x number of years old... so those are probably the schools that might require a date.

always best to ask your writers to include this (on top of the "why you're a good applicant" stuff):
letterhead
their position (probably don't need to ask this)
physical signature (not just typed name)
date

do all recommendation letters need to be written on official letter heads? Some organizations I work for, they do not have official letterheads because they are not "large organizations". Can I still submit a letter from them that is not on a letter head?

When I asked my writers, I made sure to let them know I needed it on a letterhead and that it needed to be signed. One of my writers created a letterhead, just so they could write a letter for me. That way I wouldn't have that issue at any of the schools I applied to.

To make life easier. Make sure each LOR has a letterhead, signature, contact information (email address, office number), and the LOR is broken into paragraphs. No one likes reading one big paragraph.

I had a post bacc program (PCOM GA) reject my letter of recommendation from a physician because it wasn't on a letter head. She said "we need to see the company they work for". Super annoying even though he signed dated and scanned it with all his contact info and title and position at the hospital he worked for...

I had a post bacc program (PCOM GA) reject my letter of recommendation from a physician because it wasn't on a letter head. She said "we need to see the company they work for". Super annoying even though he signed dated and scanned it with all his contact info and title and position at the hospital he worked for...

yeah that seems pretty silly when I could get a logo off of google image search

Boston University needs a retinal scan from your letter writers. Just a heads up.