Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mister Significant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello y'all,

I just met with the pre-health advisor at my university. I am graduating this May, and plan on applying to DO school a year from that date (May 2019). I was told that I cannot submit my letters of recommendation in till the time that I apply. How do I go about this considering this is my final semester, and the two science teachers I'm asking are teaching me now. Can anyone give me more feedback on the process so I can inform them about it.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello y'all,

I just met with the pre-health advisor at my university. I am graduating this May, and plan on applying to DO school a year from that date (May 2019). I was told that I cannot submit my letters of recommendation in till the time that I apply. How do I go about this considering this is my final semester, and the two science teachers I'm asking are teaching me now. Can anyone give me more feedback on the process so I can inform them about it.

Thank you.

Just use interfolio. It’s by far the easiest way to go.

Reactions: 1 user
My school had something super easy called lettertracker where I could send an email to each professor and have them submit their letter through there. If you know who you are considering asking, then you should meet them after class one day or preferably in their office as soon as possible. Then you're going to want to introduce yourself if the professor doesn't know you. Let them know that you would like to get a letter of recommendation from them for med school. This way they know who you are and they have on their mind the whole semester that you're interested. Then you're going to need to bust your butt and get an A in the class so they can write you the best letter possible. Also, frequent their office as much as you can so that you can get a relationship with them. Do whatever you can to be impressive and then when it's closer to the end of the semester, remind them about the letter and give them all the details about where to submit it.

My school had something super easy called lettertracker where I could send an email to each professor and have them submit their letter through there. If you know who you are considering asking, then you should meet them after class one day or preferably in their office as soon as possible. Then you're going to want to introduce yourself if the professor doesn't know you. Let them know that you would like to get a letter of recommendation from them for med school. This way they know who you are and they have on their mind the whole semester that you're interested. Then you're going to need to bust your butt and get an A in the class so they can write you the best letter possible. Also, frequent their office as much as you can so that you can get a relationship with them. Do whatever you can to be impressive and then when it's closer to the end of the semester, remind them about the letter and give them all the details about where to submit it.

Thank you for the advice! I have the same Organic Chemistry (orgo 2) teacher as I had last semester for Orgo 1. I went to her office hours around 4 times, I always made sure to be polite and nice. I ended up getting in the 95th percentile on the ACS final so she gave me an A-. First day of class this semester she called me out on one of her questions because she saw me dozing off. I'm pretty sure she likes me tho. Other one is my general chemistry 2 teacher. I'm retaking the class because I ended up with a C+, he seems like an easy going guy though so I'm gonna tell him my dream and let him know in what way he can help me make it happen.