Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HA123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm currently applying for a radiology residency and have a question about letters of recommendation. I know most programs request 3. Any advice on whom these should be from? I have 2 from radiologists I worked with that know me well, and 1 from an Internal Medicine attending. Do I need another non-radiology letter? I've heard conflicting stories, some saying 2 rads, others saying no more than 1. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

HA

Members don't see this ad.

I got two radiology letters, and one letter from a surgeon. The radiology letters were from where I did rotations on away radiology electives...one was IR which I was interested in and one was from a General Radiologist/MSK. The letter from a surgeon was good because he was my attending during my 3rd year gen surg rotation and again during fourth year in SICU...so the point being...he had more experience with me...got to know me better.

I had one program director tell me that they would rather have a letter from someone who knows me extremely well vs. a radiologist who just had me sit behind him/her for four weeks.

Keep that in mind.

"I had one program director tell me that they would rather have a letter from someone who knows me extremely well vs. a radiologist who just had me sit behind him/her for four weeks."

I was told the same thing by a PD last week.

For me this is a big issue because we don't have a rads program at my school. I still don't know if I'll get a letter from a rads doc cause really how well do they know me???