Level 1 Trauma Hospital -DO access- what DO programs are affiliated with a Level 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMPROVEDAILY

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am considering DO as a path and was hoping someone could share what DO medical schools work with teaching hospitals that are considered level 1 Trauma

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Level 1 means nothing.

There are no DO schools with teaching hospitals that are Level 1s. Many DO schools have affiliations with hospitals that are level 1s, but again, the Level 1 designation doesn’t really mean anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Level 1 means nothing.

There are no DO schools with teaching hospitals that are Level 1s. Many DO schools have affiliations with hospitals that are level 1s, but again, the Level 1 designation doesn’t really mean anything.
I thought that because there is an association with a level1 the training would make one more competitive when applying to EM residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that because there is an association with a level1 the training would make one more competitive when applying to EM residency?

That’s really not what you should be focusing on when looking for a school.

I doubt it matters. But you can try askig in the PD AMA thread over in the EM sub forum.

Nope. Level 1 doesn’t mean anything with regards to your training.

Reactions: 1 user
Few level 1 trauma centers are owned by medical schools in general considering that a supermajority are going to be large county hospitals.

To echo, it would make for a nice EM home elective/core rotation but will add little-to-none to your EM residency application compared to a level 2+ trauma center.

And, to actually answer your question, my school - TCOM - is affiliated with a level 1 trauma center - JPS Hospital -, which is our main teaching hospital. I would imagine there are a handful of other ones, too.

Level 1 means nothing.

....How does level 1 trauma “not mean anything?”

I’m not attacking you, just curious as to your thought process here.

There are two benefits that would usually be conferred by rotating at a level 1 trauma center:
1) it would be a good experience
2) most L1 trauma centers offer a residency program, and rotating there would help there

Aside from that, PDs aren’t going to do a backflip for you because you rotated at a L1 as opposed to a L2, which most medium-to-large hospitals are (and you should have no trouble obtaining that experience). You will receive a vastly similar experience in either scenario - the majority of cases seen by a L1 trauma center are not L1 traumas. It just doesn’t add a whole lot to your application.

To say it adds nothing is probably untrue, but its impact is not high compared to a L2 rotation.

Of course, some rare instances would add a large amount, for instance if you happened to be in the hospital the night of a mass shooting as L1 trauma centers are front-and-center in those events. But we can all hope that’s never the case.

Because it legit doesn't mean anything with regards to training. There are many Level 2's that are much better for trauma because of their location. In terms of training you will get much more trauma experience at a level 2 that's a member of the knife and gun club than a massive Level 1 that gets referred all the old ladies that fall and go bump.

It's a designation that is determined by factors generally unrelated to your education. That's why I'm saying it doesn't mean anything.

In addition, L1 doesn’t mean the same thing in every state. Some use ACS criteria and some don’t. Ex. WI vs IL. A level 1 in IL in some cases would be a level 2 in WI. Your experience as a student will be much more based on how much autonomy you have (and often you have more as a student at a community hospital rotation).

That’s a reasonable assumption for sure and I can see why one would think that. But the other posters are correct that it is of little utility overall. What you should be considering is picking a school with as many affiliated ER residencies to maximize your chances of networking and getting SLOEs.

Reactions: 2 users
We are affiliated with a level 2 that is the only Level 2 in the state within like a 100 mile radius or something, its in the city that the school is in , also a level 2 or 1 doesn't mean anything at all

There is a zero % chance this is going to matter with regard to matching into EM. In fact as others have alluded to, you will certainly get less autonomy in a large level 1 center than you will in a small community setting. You are not going to be involved in any way shape or form in traumas as a medical student. You will be pushed to the side, and very likely booted out of the room as there is limited room and everyone generally has a fixed role. A role you wont be trained to occupy. So focus on getting into medical school and doing well. Things will fall into place (and trauma classification of your primary teaching hospitals will not matter). Good luck!
AW (PGY3 EM)

Following this thread... I always assumed the same as OP. I am more interested in surgery so I was looking for bigger hospitals during my clinical years that will have a greater case load. If hospital classification is irrelevant what should one look for in terms of seeking a clinical hospital?? The majority of DO schools offer a multitude of options, so will one hospital offer more opportunity for a specific specialty of interest than another?

The barrier between Level 1 and Level 2 designation often doesn't have to do with patient acuity, but usually has more to do with amount of research/publications going on within the hospital. Peripheral to that are staffing considerations like whether you have an OMFS/OMS readily available. Trauma makes such a substantial number of patients when you factor in cases like granny having a fall being such a staple admit that I imagine most hospitals hit the quota for having enough trauma admits to qualify on admits alone.

Following this thread... I always assumed the same as OP. I am more interested in surgery so I was looking for bigger hospitals during my clinical years that will have a greater case load. If hospital classification is irrelevant what should one look for in terms of seeking a clinical hospital?? The majority of DO schools offer a multitude of options, so will one hospital offer more opportunity for a specific specialty of interest than another?

What should factor into your decision to picking your clinical rotation hospitals?

What should factor into your decision to picking your clinical rotation hospitals?

How many and what specialty residencies the hospital has. You want as many rotations with residents as you can. You also want to have some preceptor rotations where you get to do more hands on stuff. The sweet spot is vast majority with residents especially the specialty you are interested in but still some community ones where you can get more comfortable just churning through physical exams

I auditioned with MDs where I was so much more comfortable with my physical exam findings because I did so many in 1:1 rotations. But my ability to create a plan was lacking compared to theirs. I knew what had to happen at a 4th year level but I had no clue the simple patient care stuff like how rounds worked, role of a med student to the team, and my notes lacked

Reactions: 3 users
You can do clinical rotations with residents? I was under the impression that all preceptors were attendings.
You're with a resident team under an attending is what was meant

My place is a level 2 because we don't have heart/lung bypass, we also don't have ECMO, or CVVH for that matter... but we still take GSW and SW to the OR ALL THE TIME. We also are placing thoracostomy tubes and even doing ED thoracotomies. But I'm also a Surgery resident, the EM peeps get to place Thoracostomy tubes when our residents don't need them, but we are the ones doing the thoracotomies and the emergency cric's. As a student it's pretty cool to see that stuff, but the EM residents aren't actually doing those procedures or going to the OR. There wouldn't be much difference for us if we were a L1, we'd have a 24 hour cardiac guy that's all really. I have seen some crazy trauma stuff managed with our trauma team and the vascular surgeon, and we can always call the cardiac guy in when we have to mediansterontomy someone so I don't think I've really 'missed out" by being at a L2. Also no matter where you go the geriatric fall w/ hip fracture or TBI is like >60% trauma.

My place is a level 2 because we don't have heart/lung bypass, we also don't have ECMO, or CVVH for that matter... but we still take GSW and SW to the OR ALL THE TIME. We also are placing thoracostomy tubes and even doing ED thoracotomies. But I'm also a Surgery resident, the EM peeps get to place Thoracostomy tubes when our residents don't need them, but we are the ones doing the thoracotomies and the emergency cric's.
I agree with you regarding the lack of real world difference in training at a level 1 or level 2. I will say that you might have a misconception about the procedures EM does when you aren't present, which is common among non EM residents, and perhaps attendings as well.

One of my colleagues recently opened a chest on a trauma patient as soon as the patient hit the door. Trauma had not yet arrived as we had not received any advanced noticed. It's rare for this to happen, but it's not like we just throw our hands in the air and give up simply because the trauma doc isn't there to do it.

The vast majority of our patients are medical, not trauma.

For instance, we put chest tubes in spotaneous pneumos who need them urgently. I only call surgery if I'm busy, the tube can wait, and I don't think it needs done right now.

Emergent Crics... This is rare overall as most of us can secure even difficult airways one way or another. But we intubate patients routinely in the ED. What happens on those extremely rare occasions when we can't secure the airway and can't bag the patient to buy time? We cric. The patient would be dead if we waited until a consultant arrived. If I anticipate a possible need for a cric or difficult airway, I may call ENT or anesthesia to the ED. But if you think surgery does the majority of emergency crics in the ED, you either don't work at a typical hospital or, more likely, don't realize what ED physicians do with the majority of our patients, who medical. Many are only mildly sick, but many show up very sick.

Heck, this may blow your mind, but when I was a 4th year student I watched an ED attending do a perimortem C-section. Did you know we are trained to do that? To really top this off... The OB resident was present at bedside... But the procedure was still done by the ED doc.

Think sepsis, out of hospital cardiac arrest, CVA, Chf, cold, and so on.

Here is my take on the original post.

If a medical student wants a good trauma experience, the best hands on training will be found at a trauma center without general surgery residencies. This means no surgery residents to compete with for procedures. All the procedures will be done be the ED residents who may let students do many of them too. I rotated at a level 2 trauma ED without surgery residents and did 2 chest tubes that month. I thought it was awesome.

In residency I worked at multiple hospitals, and one was s a level 1 trauma center without any general surgery residents. These are the places you should look for in my opinion.

The trauma level designation is rarely important to the education of students or EM residents.

That being said, trauma should not be a big factor or priority for someone choosing EM. Trauma is such a tiny part of our job that you will be very disappointed in the long run. If you enjoy seeing a mix of all types of medical patients, most not sick, some very sick, with trauma patients sprinkled in here or there, then choose EM.

Heck, even the surgery residents at my hospital dislike their trauma rotations. The vast majority of trauma patients are elderly people who fell down. There are a fair amount of MVCs. There is some penetrating trauma, but it is typically nothing like you see on TV.

Choose EM because you like getting an undifferentiated chief complaint and trying to make the correct diagnosis. Choose EM because you like making quick interventions that help people feel better. Choose EM because you like to see a variety of stuff. There are many reasons to choose or not choose EM. But I strongly advise you to not choose EM for trauma.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I didn’t mean my post to come across as being flippant or implying that EM Attendings/residents don’t do invasive procedures on patients that absolutely need them and are time sensitive. I fully agree that EM is way better at intubation then Surgery. I was just trying to answer the OP in regards to trauma, and admittedly I guess I’m limited by my own experience which is not coming from an EM perspective, as to what medical students and the EM residents at my hospitals trauma service get exposed to and deal with (lol which is very likely not a typical place).

Heck.... an EM Attending showed me how to do my first pericardiocentisis. I was covering one of our out rotation sites on call, and of course at 2 am some lady 1 week out from a valve replacement done via mediansternotomy (at another, fancier hospital) had the misfortune to develop pericardial tamponade at her rehab center and the Cards/Thoracic guy on home call is saying just transfer her.

I’m just going to agree that the trauma designation means squat, OP pursue what you are interested in, good luck with school and all that.