Coursework & Fieldwork Level I advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMStudiezOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to begin my first level 1 experience in a couple of weeks! I'm incredibly excited to finally see what I have learned thusfar in action. I want to make sure my CI knows that I am eager to learn, willing to help out if asked, and thankful for the opportunity. I know I'll want to ask questions, but I also don't want to interrupt treatment and take away from the client's time with his/her therapist. I also am unsure how to make the best of my experience since we only need about 40 hours and its more of a "shadowing" experience. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of facility will you be in? Bring a notebook - I actually got a clipboard with storage inside because my educator ended up giving me a bunch of papers & cheat sheets to hang onto, and it helped me keep everything from that placement organized. I just finished my 1st of 2 sessions this semester, and my educator said that her biggest things to look for in students were professionalism and initiative. Get there 15 min early, read up on common diagnoses ahead of time, and do whatever you can to help out. I felt a little awkward in the acute care setting so I didn't take as much initiative as I could have with even to help carry equipment. Also, don't feel scared to talk to people aside from your educator, branch out!

Reactions: 1 user
What kind of facility will you be in? Bring a notebook - I actually got a clipboard with storage inside because my educator ended up giving me a bunch of papers & cheat sheets to hang onto, and it helped me keep everything from that placement organized. I just finished my 1st of 2 sessions this semester, and my educator said that her biggest things to look for in students were professionalism and initiative. Get there 15 min early, read up on common diagnoses ahead of time, and do whatever you can to help out. I felt a little awkward in the acute care setting so I didn't take as much initiative as I could have with even to help carry equipment. Also, don't feel scared to talk to people aside from your educator, branch out!

Hi there! I will be in an outpatient clinic with a hand therapist and his level 2 FW student. From my understanding, I will be working more with the student, which is perfectly fine by me. When I spoke with her to confirm my dates we talked about the patients they see and she explained its mostly rotator cuffs and wrists post op.

Members don't see this ad :)
know tendon glides, coast goals, soap note stuff. sometimes they give you time to ask a question or 2. sometimes they do not want to talk to you. You have to feel em out.

Make sure you introduce yourself as a student OT or whatever to the client

Last edited:
Depends on what works best in the setting! Some supervisors said it was fine to ask questions during the session and others preferred I wait until the end. Communication is key. If you're curious about a treatment or what role you should play, just ask!

If there's a disconnect between your CIs expectations of what youre supposed to do, and yours, please let someone know and get the situation corrected. I remember reading about a girl who got dismissed from a MOT program because her CI was giving her way too much responsibility for a Level I rotation...

Reactions: 1 user
My first level 1 experience was also in an outpatient clinic with a hand therapist and his level 2 student! I primarily worked with the level 2 student and he was great with explaining his clinical reasoning and sharing evidence for interventions. Study up on tendon glides as mentioned in addition to modalities. I took notes during breaks between clients or in another room with the therapist and the student. It's helpful to have a watch with a timer too as timers always disappear in clinics.