LGBT Applicant Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DonnoJ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Similar threads in this forum have been very interesting (and almost scary) to read, but I have had some interesting interactions and conversations as I have been applying and interviewing. I have been able to find out faculty members, administrators, and current students, but not any other current applicants. Are there any current applicants out there willing to talk about their experiences being out (or not out) on their applications and/or interviews? Thank you. -D

Members don't see this ad.

Similar threads in this forum have been very interesting (and almost scary) to read, but I have had some interesting interactions and conversations as I have been applying and interviewing. I have been able to find out faculty members, administrators, and current students, but not any other current applicants. Are there any current applicants out there willing to talk about their experiences being out (or not out) on their applications and/or interviews? Thank you. -D

I had a friend that talked about her experiences of coming out during her UCLA interview. I think it was in response to a "what challenges have you overcome" question. She was accepted.

I think it's a gamble to talk about being out because you have no idea what people believe in. Talking about it could cause your interviewer to have a negative bias towards you if they don't agree with your lifestyle choices.

I went home this past Christmas to see my parents, and my Dad and I had a discussion about my gay cousin. I've talked with my Dad before about, and I always thought he was a pretty tolerant guy when it came to gays. Then I heard my Dad say something like "Oh, it's scary that he's a child psychologist and works with kids." I was like WTF?! What is he going to do, try to turn the kids gay?! It was suprising.

I had a friend that talked about her experiences of coming out during her UCLA interview. I think it was in response to a "what challenges have you overcome" question. She was accepted.

I think it's a gamble to talk about being out because you have no idea what people believe in. Talking about it could cause your interviewer to have a negative bias towards you if they don't agree with your lifestyle choices.

I went home this past Christmas to see my parents, and my Dad and I had a discussion about my gay cousin. I've talked with my Dad before about, and I always thought he was a pretty tolerant guy when it came to gays. Then I heard my Dad say something like "Oh, it's scary that he's a child psychologist and works with kids." I was like WTF?! What is he going to do, try to turn the kids gay?! It was suprising.

I think since legal protection for gays is such recent occurance there going to be some hold overs from the days when being singled out as gay meant ruin. I agree with the above try finding something else to talk about.

A lot of my volunteer and extra-curricular activities were related to work I did with the LGBT community so I took the standpoint that my application would actually be weaker if I didn't include those experiences. I have had very good conversations with people in admissions and the administration, but I get the impression that they don't see resumes like mine very often. Do people with the kind of volunteer work I have not apply to dental school very often, or do they simply choose not to disclose? From discussions I have had with my friends in Med Schools, it seems like the culture in medicine attracts a lot more 'out' applicants.