LGBT - Ross School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReefingDoctor2012

Reaction score
So... let's make this clear before someone mentions it. I haven't tried a state school (MD or DO). I simply think that going to school in the Caribbean would be a fun and a good experience while in Medical school. I plan on doing family medicine.

That being said, I am gay and married so my husband and myself would be going to Barbados if I were accepted. How is the gay population in Barbados? Are they well received? I know its gay sex is illegal there but they had a gay pride there in 2018 so... it can't be that bad?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
... Don't mess around with laws in foreign countries... If there are laws that would put you or your husband at risk, don't mess around with it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Surely you can't be serious

Reactions: 1 user
Gay marriage is not legal in Barbados. There are pride groups and stuff at Ross. I have a few LGBT friends and they mostly mingle with other Ross students. We aren't talkin middle east level of oppression but I wouldn't personally go around downtown at night makin out with your husband if you want to avoid potential harassment.

With that aside, Caribbean isn't some "fun experience" and shouldn't be considered before US MD/DO is out of the running.

This is a bad idea regardless of sexual orientation

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Surely you can't be serious

It sounds like a joke to me... I'm also LGBTQ and have fears ranging from street harassment to corrective rape even in the US. I'm just not buying that anyone would risk their mental and physical health for a "fun and good time in the Caribbean".

If this person is being serious though... there are so many other fun places to go to medical school if that's a concern. My school is in Vegas for example. If they like the beach, why not California, Florida or Hawaii? All places with stable internet access and not everything has to be imported.

Guess I was being serious... But ya know. Not like we go around snogging each other in broad daylight.

Actually we both agree that going somewhere other than the US would be fun.

Guess I was being serious... But ya know. Not like we go around snogging each other in broad daylight.

Actually we both agree that going somewhere other than the US would be fun.
You know what else is fun? Getting a US residency so your degree is worth something. That’s fun

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
So... let's make this clear before someone mentions it. I haven't tried a state school (MD or DO). I simply think that going to school in the Caribbean would be a fun and a good experience while in Medical school. I plan on doing family medicine.

That being said, I am gay and married so my husband and myself would be going to Barbados if I were accepted. How is the gay population in Barbados? Are they well received? I know its gay sex is illegal there but they had a gay pride there in 2018 so... it can't be that bad?
1598029618071.png

I can think of about 30 other adjectives I would choose before calling med school fun.

you will be fine. I have walked up and down the street with my gf and nothing has happened. We did try not to kiss in public, but we were still naturally close to each other. Be prepared for the looks, but at the end of the day they know you are there for school and wont bug you. Any other questions; message me.