LGBTQ URMs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I'm a gay URM in med student who has been around the block with LGBTQ heath educational events, professional organizations, and the like. I've given lectures, edited book chapters, and pressured my administration to provide more LGBTQ health instruction. While this sub forum tends to focus on racial/ethnic underrepresented minorities, I believe that LGBTQ doctors are also severely underrepresented, and we can use all the help and support we can get. What do y'all think? Perhaps there are others who feel differently?

Resources (for your reference):
Gay and Lesbian Medical association: http://www.glma.org/
Transgender health conference: http://www.trans-health.org/
UCSF med school LGBT Resource center: http://lgbt.ucsf.edu/services_health.html
 
I'm a gay URM in med student who has been around the block with LGBTQ heath educational events, professional organizations, and the like. I've given lectures, edited book chapters, and pressured my administration to provide more LGBTQ health instruction. While this sub forum tends to focus on racial/ethnic underrepresented minorities, I believe that LGBTQ doctors are also severely underrepresented, and we can use all the help and support we can get. What do y'all think? Perhaps there are others who feel differently?

Resources (for your reference):
Gay and Lesbian Medical association: http://www.glma.org/
Transgender health conference: http://www.trans-health.org/
UCSF med school LGBT Resource center: http://lgbt.ucsf.edu/services_health.html

👍

I'm in total support....I would have chimed in on this thread earlier, but I'm only a humble ally and OP made no mention of the allies 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
👍

I'm in total support....I would have chimed in on this thread earlier, but I'm only a humble ally and OP made no mention of the allies 😉

Thanks, man. I'm afraid I'm guilty of not mentioning the very important A in LGBTQA. Oops!
 
Yep I'm gay still working through somethings. However, life is to good to be sad! Just smile!!!!!! Cherish this one opportunity!😀
 
I am a queer URM. It definitely played into regional/school choices for me. It'd be nice to live somewhere where I have full legal protections/rights. Here in TX I can legally be fired for being gay!
 
I am a queer URM. It definitely played into regional/school choices for me. It'd be nice to live somewhere where I have full legal protections/rights. Here in TX I can legally be fired for being gay!

Yikes! That's why I've stayed out of the south for residency (or, rather, stuck to the east coast).