LiAlH4 vs. NaBH4 (concept question)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pineappletree

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that LiAlH4 is capable of reducing both carbonyls with leaving groups and aldehyde/ketones, while NaBH4 is only capable of reducing aldehydes/Ketones.

I also happen to know that LiAlH4 is stronger that NaBH4 here, which can also be deduced from the above reactions.




However, I was wondering why carbonyls with leaving groups are more difficult to reduce than aldehydes/ketones...
Also, if both reducing agents can be used for aldehydes/ketones, why does NaBH4 even exist? (perhaps for selective reduction?)
 
Yes, NaBH4 is for selective reduction. If you had a molecule that contains a carboxylic section AND a ketone; maybe you only want to reduce the ketone portion and not the acid, so use NaBH4 since it can't reduce the acid.
 
I know that LiAlH4 is capable of reducing both carbonyls with leaving groups and aldehyde/ketones, while NaBH4 is only capable of reducing aldehydes/Ketones.

I also happen to know that LiAlH4 is stronger that NaBH4 here, which can also be deduced from the above reactions.




However, I was wondering why carbonyls with leaving groups are more difficult to reduce than aldehydes/ketones...
Also, if both reducing agents can be used for aldehydes/ketones, why does NaBH4 even exist? (perhaps for selective reduction?)

1) Carbonyls w/ leaving groups are more difficult to reduce than aldehydes/ketones because Pi-donation from the lone pair into the carbonyl carbon reduces the electrophilicity. The stronger the pi donor, the harder it will be to reduce: for more info see point #3 in this post - http://is.gd/cOtK5

2) You are right about selective reduction. LiAlH4 is a real sledgehammer of a reagent. It will reduce ketones as well as esters. In molecules with multiple functional groups (which is often the case in complex molecule synthesis) NaBH4 is useful for selective reduction of ketones/aldehydes.

hope this helps - james