LiAlH4 vs NaBH4

Started by NSMedical
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NSMedical

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys!

Here is a direct link to an image regarding the synthesis I have a question on!
http://tinypic.com/r/209kch3/8


209kch3.png


I understand LiAlH4 is stronger than NaBH4 and that NaBH4 does not react with esters. However, wouldn't the LiAlH4 reduce both carbonyls? What reagent would I use to retain the ketone and reduce the ester to a primary alcohol?

Also, is there a difference between using LiAlH4/CH3OH/H3O+ VS LiAlH4/diethyl ether/H3O+?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
 
Hi guys!

Here is a direct link to an image regarding the synthesis I have a question on!
http://tinypic.com/r/209kch3/8


209kch3.png


I understand LiAlH4 is stronger than NaBH4 and that NaBH4 does not react with esters. However, wouldn't the LiAlH4 reduce both carbonyls? What reagent would I use to retain the ketone and reduce the ester to a primary alcohol?

Also, is there a difference between using LiAlH4/CH3OH/H3O+ VS LiAlH4/diethyl ether/H3O+?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
I could be wrong here since I haven't reviewed orgo in months, but this was my approach: 1. LiAlH44 2. H3O+ 3. TsCl 4. PCC 5. H2O (in absence of acid). I believe this is one of those instances where a protecting group is required though.

LiAlH4 (not NaBH4) is strong enough to reduce esters, aldehydes, and ketones.
H30+ workup step protonates the negatively charged oxygen's (O- to -OH groups).
TsCl is really bulky and makes primary alcohol's a good leaving group (changes primary -OH to OTs)
PCC oxidizes any primary or secondary alcohols (changes secondary -OH to Ketone)
H2O attacks OTs and changes it into an -OH (but in the absence of acid, it's not a good enough nucleophile to attack the carbonyl).
 
I think ketones are protected by turning them into ketals.

So if you turn the ketone end into a ketal it won't react when you add LiAlH4 or NaBH4 to react the other end.

I think at this point either NaBH4 or LiAlH4 can reduce the ester all the way to a alcohol.

I do not know how to unprotect the ketal back to a ketone.