Liberal arts education at a UC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pomeranian4rich

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I noticed that some universities, such as a UC, have both a B.S. and B.A. degrees you can pursue. I have always wanted to attend a liberal arts college because of its small size and the well-rounded education it gives. I am a currently a first year community college student and I think a liberal arts education will greatly help me in the future in medicine. The problem is I might not get into the liberal arts college I want, which are occidental college or Pomona college, so my back up plan is to go to a UC instead. If that were to happen, will I still receive the same liberal arts education like that of a liberal arts college if I were to choose a major with a B.A.?

In simpler sentences, is a B.A. in biology from a UC and a B.A. from a liberal arts college the same?
I know that at a liberal arts college you'll have more interaction with your professors because of the small students to faculty ratio, which potentially helps with letter of rec, while at a UC the ratio is the opposite, and you have less chance to talk or interact with the professor.

I appreciate any offers or suggestions. Thank you