Liberal Arts Major--Premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seelie2121

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I did all of this a little backwards than everyone else. I finished my major in the first 2 years of college (in Hindi and South Asian Studies) and then decided to be pre-med, so started to take the science classes. I had basically a 4.0 for the first 2 years of college...and then kind of got rocked my first semester junior year. I was taking Chemistry, Chem lab, Anatomy, Hindi, and a Public Health Course. Not to mention, I started a new job and worked literally 40 hours a week. My question is, I got mostly B's in these classes (to be exact, B in Chem lab, B- in Chem, B+ in Anatomy, B+ in Public Health, and A in Hindi).

It's not that I didn't understand the material, but I simply was working so many hours with 16 credits of class...Will this be possible to bring up? I'm extremely worried :( :( :( Currently I'm in physics and Orgo and am doing really well, because my job is requiring wayyyy less hours (thank god).

So basically, my question (sorry about the rambling!!) is that although this is low for one semester, do I have a chance to bring it up a considerable amount, and will it be enough of an excuse that I had to work 40 hours? (The other issue was that I was severely ill at the end of the term and had to take 2 finals AFTER winter break....didn't work out so well)

Members don't see this ad.

Work less study more. The numbers are as they are... you can do your own math.

Don't worry about that sounds like you still have a GPA 3.8 or above. I don't believe med school ask you why you got Bs in classes so 1 or two Bs are fine as long you don't fail any classes. But you still have many chances to build up your GPA as you have two majors and many science classes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Gee thanks Morsetlis, your post was most appreciated. Why waste your time with a snide comment like that? Not everyone has their tuition expenses handed to them from mommy and daddy. I have to work in order to eat, pay for tuition and cover housing. Don't be such a jerk. Excuse me for thinking I would be able to get a little bit of advice about my chances on this forum.

West Kelvin, thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it :)

Gee thanks Morsetlis, your post was most appreciated. Why waste your time with a snide comment like that? Not everyone has their tuition expenses handed to them from mommy and daddy. I have to work in order to eat, pay for tuition and cover housing. Don't be such a jerk. Excuse me for thinking I would be able to get a little bit of advice about my chances on this forum.

West Kelvin, thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it :)

Fine. So work the same, take less classes. I'm not sure what your point is. You worked 40 hours a week and took 5 classes and then got B's and complained. What useful things could people possibly say to you? Besides point out that you can't do basic math.

You're like those people that come in with shortness of breath and then tell us they smoked three packs earlier that day.

it's not unusual for people to put their work unnecessarily ahead of their studies. even people who have most of their tuition and expenses paid for still work to have some extra spending money. i worked 16 hours a week and i had a scholarship that fully paid for my tuition. even more crazy, some people in medical school still look for part time work despite the fact that at that point they're completely taken care of with student loans.

also there isn't going to be that much sympathy for you just b/c you had to work 40 hours a week and handle a heavy courseload. a lot of premeds juggle lots of responsibilities even if they're not jobs per say but research, clinical experience, and community service. Besides working part-time, I was putting in 15+ hour in lab, 6 hours in community service, and 1.5 hours in clubs per week.

whether or not you'll be able to compensate for a semester's worth of bad grades depends on when you plan to apply and how many credits you've taken so far. Worry less about your cGPA than your sGPA as you need to prove to medical schools that you can handle science courses.

Complained? You're a tool. I was asking for peoples opinions about my chances, which is what the forum is about. And I can't do basic math? I'll take that any day over being a worthless prick who goes around making useless comments on people's posts. Perhaps if you worked on your reading and people skills a little more, you would have understood what I was actually asking in my original post.

Next time I need a sarcastic remark by some egotistical bastard, I'll let ya know ok? Until then, screw off.

Thanks bravo, that's the kind of real answer I need.

I sincerely hope that you develop thicker skin by the time you become a physician.

And get better at math.

ugh why did the two most useless people have to respond to my post...

So basically, my question (sorry about the rambling!!) is that although this is low for one semester, do I have a chance to bring it up a considerable amount, and will it be enough of an excuse that I had to work 40 hours? (The other issue was that I was severely ill at the end of the term and had to take 2 finals AFTER winter break....didn't work out so well)
Lower grades can be forgiven for good reason, but still need to be redeemed with high grades. One often has the chance to write a Secondary essay on blips in the academic road, stresses, or a challenge they overcame. Rather than blaming heavy work hours, you might say you had to adjust to a new learning style for the sciences or improve your time management. Adcomms like to see folks carry a heavy load and still suceed, as it equates to a greater chance of success in med school. I'm sorry the illness came at such a bad time. At least they let you make up the tests.

You have plenty of time to get your BCPM GPA up. Better to have the low grades early on rather than the last semester before applying.

wow guys. You're making it sound like he got a semester of F's.

OP (I'm too lazy to remember your name) 1 semester of Bs will not effect you in anyway, save for the fact it'll bring down your GPA a little. Many many people have gotten Cs and still gotten into medical school. Just realize that since you aren't taking many science classes the grades in your pre-reqs will be very important as they will determine your sGPA. Your on the right track, and good luck!

To other people: :diebanana: