licence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zahn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Guy,
Any friend can tell me which State is better for a Asia dentist to apply the dentist licence in USA? Thanks a lot! Merry Christmas!!

Members don't see this ad.

zsy_lzy said:
i think it is nyc
Hi, Thanks a lot!
But in NewYork State, you must complete not less than two academic years of study satisfactory to the Department in a registered or accredited dental school program including such subjects as may be necessary for certification by such registered or accredited school that you have achieved the level of knowledge and clinical proficiency expected of a graduate of the school.

Can we directly take part in the dental examination?? in which state??

Christmas days wishes to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Zahn said:
Hi, Guy,
Any friend can tell me which State is better for a Asia dentist to apply the dentist licence in USA? Thanks a lot! Merry Christmas!!

Merry Christmas! I'm sorry to burst your bubble but there isn't one State (of the US) that is "better" for an Asian dentist to become licensed. Each state dental board will have their educational requirement which will be either two or three year advanced standing (ie. DDS programs) or supplemental/advanced education (ie. GPR/AEGD or specialty) dental education in an ADA certified program. California used to offer direct route through the bench test and California board exam for foreign trained dentists, but now that is almost extinct.

So, in a nutshell, you will need to go back to dental school for at least two years (either as an undergraduate or as a postgraduate) before any of the State dental board educational requirements are met. Of course, NY state requires you to have a US citizenship or a greencard.

Each State dental board has its own requirements. They largely fall into these categories:

1. Educational requirement - Usually graduation from an American or Canadian dental schools with DDS/DMD. This also includes passing of both Parts 1 and 2 of the NBDEs. (Some states would allow advanced graduate specialty programs - but need to write to each state and find out their requirement on foreign grads.)
2. Clinical requirement - Usually regional board exams or state clinical board exams.
3. Jurisprudence/CPR requirement - Usually state dental law/ethics and CPR requirement
4. Immigration status requirement - Some states are now requiring you to have valid visa status that allows you to live AND work. This would exclude vast majority of those on student visa (F-1).

Have a warm snowy Chritstmas day everyone.

Hi , my friend, Thanks a lot!

I checked the website of Minnesota dental board. They wrote the first step:

Applicant provides documents to International Credentialing Association (ICA) for review. ICA sends a course-by-course report to the Minnesota Board of Dentistry.

I can not open ICA website: www.icaworld.com.

ECE wrote a general evaluation is for ADA. What is the difference between ICA and ECE??

Best wishes

[do not spend your time
begin to learn for ndbe 1 (you need almost 90%or + to have real chance)and after ndbe2.

I would not say that NY is the best state simply because starting 2007, you have to have a minimum 1 year residency along with you DDS/DMD to get a NY state licensure. This is for the regular and foreign students.

Minnesota has something like that, MA does too but there are a lot of limitations.

i am now review the anatomic science,,,oh,,tough for me to do it.
now i study at home fulltime,,but only 100 pages of dental deck 2001 i can go through.
what shall i do??
thanks for reply..

Hi, Good lucky to your for your NBDE1. How long have you prepared for it? I see that is very tough and a long long way for us. I really do not start anything. I am not sure ...
happy new year.

In Minnesota, it is necessary for a international dentist to provide the Proof of Practice of last 5 years (on the website) to the State Board.
I am not clear whether they need our last 5 year's continuing dental practice??? After my arriving in USA, we can not practice dentistry. I will certainly last a few years.

Can anyone explain it for me?

Thanks

Proof of Practice
- Notarized photocopies of documenting active, clinical practice of dentistry. Acceptable documents may include tax statements, patient billings, pay stubs or passport. If you do not have these specific documents, please submit what you do have available; the Committee will then determine if they are acceptable.

d. Proof of actively practicing, clinical dentistry for a sufficient period of time based on the following criteria:

1. Duration

2. Verifiability

3. Scope of practice

4. Recency

Hi, zsy_lzy, Are u online now?
If so , please MSN