License Renewal and parental leave

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naruhodo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm doing my license renewal and just came across the question: Have you been terminated, granted a leave of absence, withdrawn or had to repeat a year in a postgraduate training program?

I used my vacation for parental leave this year but did take an extra week that I intend to make up by working an additional week next year. I instinctively clinked "no" before I thought that maybe my parental leave means I should click yes? If so, it sucks to be bundled in with people who have been terminated or had to repeat for performance issues. Thanks for your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Using vacation time + 1 week you have to make up is not what they are asking about. I would have said no also

Awesome. I will double check with my program leadership but that's my inclination too. When I tried clicking yes, it says they'd need an incident report, etc. that I think I would be hard pressed to provide.

Actually just heard back from my program that they do want me to check "yes" and indicate the dates that were beyond my vacation time. Just posting so others know in the future if they have the same question.

How many weeks of vacation did you take?

ACGME allows I think 4 weeks per year or something like that (maybe “1 month”?). I would say if you took an extra week of vacation but you’re still under that I’d be hard pressed to call it a “leave if absence” and I wouldn’t buy any argument that your training need be extended. You still may have no power over it though.

Last edited:
If your program will document it as an LOA, then you report it. Don't worry about it at all. The board will see it was for parental leave, and they will move on.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup 100% right. I used my 4 weeks of vacation (unfortunately baby was late and arrived 11 days into that, though I guess it did give us some time to rest up and get all our ducks in order) then did a 2 week LOA. Technically our program also allows you 5 days off for a major holiday (usually either Christmas, Thanksgiving, or New Year's) that residents are supposed to get in addition to their 4 vacation weeks, so that's how some residents have made it that they make up one less week than their LOA (if that makes sense). Mostly I've just relieved that it seems I will be allowed to sit boards on time, and I'm happy to make up whatever need be.