License Requirements for IMG US citizen for fellowship? do i have to get USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nahar606

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
i am an IMG graduate ( medical school outside of north america), US citizen and now on my final year in general surgery residency program in CANADA. so i am going to be a board certified FRCSC and board eligiable for FACS.
my question is, i would like to do a fellowship in the states, does all fellowship programs and states requires me to have USMLE ( i dont have them) to get a limited/temprory/ trainee license??

thanks for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

The answer to your question is complicated.

The US and Canada, in general, have reciprocity. Training or exams in one country are usually recognized in the other. Therefore, if you completed GME training in Canada and have taken/passed the MCCQE and have LMCC certification, you usually can get a license without taking the USMLE. Each state may have different requirements, so you will need to check.

But, this is usually for a full license, not a training license. So you might have to get a full license. And this assumes that any GME program that was going to accept you would be happy with MCCQE/LMCC. They should be -- there's no reason why it should be a problem -- but this isn't something that happens every day and they might simply say no to avoid any possible headaches.

thanks
The answer to your question is complicated.

The US and Canada, in general, have reciprocity. Training or exams in one country are usually recognized in the other. Therefore, if you completed GME training in Canada and have taken/passed the MCCQE and have LMCC certification, you usually can get a license without taking the USMLE. Each state may have different requirements, so you will need to check.

But, this is usually for a full license, not a training license. So you might have to get a full license. And this assumes that any GME program that was going to accept you would be happy with MCCQE/LMCC. They should be -- there's no reason why it should be a problem -- but this isn't something that happens every day and they might simply say no to avoid any possible headaches.
thanks