Licensed pharmacist working as a pizza delivery driver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Music_rx

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a licensed pharmacist in Texas. Seemingly my doctorate and license are just worthless pieces of paper and all those years invested in pharmacy school was a waste of my time because I still have no job. I applied everywhere in Texas, big city, small city, village, etc. No one is hiring. I keep calling the pharmacies everyday speaking with the managers asking to follow up on my applications. Apparently no one ever needs a pharmacist anymore. Honestly, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
I can't really financially support myself anymore being unemployed this long so I got desperate for a job and Papa John's was hiring. Yesterday was my first day of work as a pizza delivery driver. Made a total of $42 in 7 hours of work. Basically I wasted the past 6 years of my life just to deliver pizza.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Is marijuana legal over there? I see lots of pharmacist postings in dispensaries over here, so that's something you can pursue.

I've always heard there are a lot of jobs in rural Texas though I dont know from personal experience. So you averaged 6$/hr in this shift?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't understand how this is possible. You have to be doing something wrong. Your logic makes no sense. Why you even work as a pizza delivery driver before attempting to work as a pharmacy technician? (I am not saying you should be a technician because no pharmacist with a Doctor of Pharmacy degree should be doing anything less than what that degree is worth, but a smarter choice would have been to purse that route). There is something that's not right here.

Reactions: 5 users
Some people don't get jobs for extended period of time because of their interview skills, personality, or appearance. Maybe, you need to fix those if you already do everything else right.

There is always Uber, doordash Ubereats too. You probably make like $10/hr tops with these.

Reactions: 3 users
I am a licensed pharmacist in Texas. Seemingly my doctorate and license are just worthless pieces of paper and all those years invested in pharmacy school was a waste of my time because I still have no job. I applied everywhere in Texas, big city, small city, village, etc. No one is hiring. I keep calling the pharmacies everyday speaking with the managers asking to follow up on my applications. Apparently no one ever needs a pharmacist anymore. Honestly, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
I can't really financially support myself anymore being unemployed this long so I got desperate for a job and Papa John's was hiring. Yesterday was my first day of work as a pizza delivery driver. Made a total of $42 in 7 hours of work. Basically I wasted the past 6 years of my life just to deliver pizza.

There’s no way...there are job openings. I live in Texas. Where are you looking and what does your resume/experience look like? I got a job with no retail work experience. Shouldn’t be that hard to where you’d have to deliver pizza. Honestly, you are wasting time by doing that when you should be finding other options to get a job.

Any connections?

Seems odd to me, is this a troll post?

Reactions: 6 users
There’s no way...there are job openings. I live in Texas. Where are you looking and what does your resume/experience look like? I got a job with no retail work experience. Shouldn’t be that hard to where you’d have to deliver pizza. Honestly, you are wasting time by doing that when you should be finding other options to get a job.

Any connections?

Seems odd to me, is this a troll post?
My friend is looking for 6 months in Houston, TX. No job. He has 6-7 yrs experience. He is pretty good too. I guess it is that bad nowadays. He is considering residency now.

I met a guy with a house in LA, works in Imperial Valley, that's 3hr drive. He is a frequent flyer of motel 6.

I've always heard there are a lot of jobs in rural Texas though I dont know from personal experience. So you averaged 6$/hr in this shift?
$42 from tips. I get $4.25 per hour from Papa John's.
I really don't understand how this is possible. You have to be doing something wrong. Your logic makes no sense. Why you even work as a pizza delivery driver before attempting to work as a pharmacy technician? (I am not saying you should be a technician because no pharmacist with a Doctor of Pharmacy degree should be doing anything less than what that degree is worth, but a smarter choice would have been to purse that route). There is something that's not right here.
My technician license is past due so I need to take the exam again.

Last edited:
This is a nightmare....But half of Tehas and Florida have been ripped to pieces lately...try construction as a laborer..might even get in a union..get someone you know to show you the basics and talk the talk..How about directional boring outfits? Oil Patch You need to sit down with someone you know and discuss this..look for ideas...You are going to have to do it soon no matter what...I do believe...NEWBIES!! read and heed or take the hit....

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly if I were in OP’s shoes I wouldn’t look for technician jobs because it would be too shameful to be in that environment and be reminded every day that you’re a failure.

I would rather look for a job completely unrelated to pharmacy where you can at least reinvent yourself, rather than be the latest butt of all the jokes/gossip among pharmacists and techs in the pharmacy.

So yes, I can see pharm tech not crossing someone’s mind if they can’t find a pharmacist job. I know that I personally would start driving uber.

He is a frequent flyer of motel 6.

I wonder what kind Loyalty perks Motel 6 has for their platinum level members. Free upgrade to a smoking room? Room with a view of the Waffle House?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, are you saying that you were unable to get ANY pharmacist job? There are plenty of part time positions out west where no one wants to go.

There's got to be more to the story. I'll wait.

Reactions: 4 users
Have you tried teaching? With a PharmD you are technically a “doctorate”, you could try teaching at the community college level or for a state school and pay your loans back on public service loan forgiveness. Not great pay, but the lifestyle of a teacher is super chill and laid back.

Reactions: 2 users
OP have you looked out of state? There's always posts here about those Indian reservations in Idaho.

What about real estate? Lots of money to be made with no barrier to entry or skills required.

I see many openings: krogers, walmart, walgreens, cvs. Apply broad- and be willing to relocate... to anywhere in TX.

I see many openings: krogers, walmart, walgreens, cvs. Apply broad- and be willing to relocate... to anywhere in TX.

Half of those postings are fake though, most likely filled already by an internal candidate or friend/family of the person hiring. They legally have to post them to make it look like everyone has a fair shot.

There has to be somewhere in BFE West Texas that needs people.
You consider the Indian Health Service?
Marfa, Van Horn, and Alpine are all needing full time RPhs as we speak.

They have to pay people out the nose to drive in from El Paso

Have you at least gotten interviews? If no interviews...

Not much hiring occurs around this time of year either

Am I the only person that thinks OP is trolling and making all of this up?

Reactions: 7 users
Am I the only person that thinks OP is trolling and making all of this up?

I think he is being truthful but just took too long to get licensed. If you read his post history, he scraped by the NAPLEX and failed the MPJE in September so he must be newly licensed in the past month or so.

Why you even work as a pizza delivery driver before attempting to work as a pharmacy technician?

Because as has been discussed here extensively, no pharmacy will hire a pharmacist to work as a technician (and that is assuming it was even legal for a pharmacist to get a technician license in the state, most states will not license a pharmacist as a technician, and for liability/personnel reasons, no pharmacy will hire someone with a pharmacist license to work as a technician.)

But wow OP, I didn't realize pizza delivery drivers could be paid less than the minimum wage like they are waitstaff. Especially if you are providing your own car and insurance, you are losing money at that rate.

I thought Walmart cashiers get $11/hr and techs $15/hr. Hospitals pay over $20/hour for techs, one of my part time techs gets paid $23/hr at the hospital.

That's what I was thinking, around here they pay $9 - $11/hr...plus tips.

Yeah, the Dominos drivers around here are doing pretty good despite being a Dominos in NYC, probably because most of the elitist pizza joints in Queens close by 11PM and Dominos stays open till 3AM, and Dominos does offer coupons and has the price advantage. I've seen Dominos drivers rolling around in BMW M3s. I asked one of them how much he makes, he claimed to take home $4k a month after tips with just the Dominos job and would also keep the Lyft app open at the same time and a couple thousand a month from that also.

dude i used to deliver pizza. You are doing it wrong if that's all you made. dominos pays minimum wage + 1 dollar a delivery + you keep tips. I was making like 150 USD a shift. That being said you paid for a degree not a job. Getting a piece of paper is no guarantee of a job. If you are in Texas you need to have good Spanish to get an job easily.

if that were the case his employor would have to make up the difference bc it's highly illegal to pay less than the federal minimum wage of 7.25 USD. OP have you talked to the federal authorities about your illegal wage?

Because as has been discussed here extensively, no pharmacy will hire a pharmacist to work as a technician (and that is assuming it was even legal for a pharmacist to get a technician license in the state, most states will not license a pharmacist as a technician, and for liability/personnel reasons, no pharmacy will hire someone with a pharmacist license to work as a technician.)

But wow OP, I didn't realize pizza delivery drivers could be paid less than the minimum wage like they are waitstaff. Especially if you are providing your own car and insurance, you are losing money at that rate.
actually no one can be paid below minimum wage. that's illegal. and employers can be arrested for it

Yeah, the Dominos drivers around here are doing pretty good despite being a Dominos in NYC, probably because most of the elitist pizza joints in Queens close by 11PM and Dominos stays open till 3AM, and Dominos does offer coupons and has the price advantage. I've seen Dominos drivers rolling around in BMW M3s. I asked one of them how much he makes, he claimed to take home $4k a month after tips with just the Dominos job and would also keep the Lyft app open at the same time and a couple thousand a month from that also.

If my Lyft driver is simultaneously delivering pizza he is getting 1 Star.

As long as he's dropping you off before he drops the pizza off, who cares?

Let’s stop with the charade. We all know the Lyft pizza driver is you. In your car with police lights on it.

Reactions: 6 users
I am pretty sure there are jobs out there that will pay well over $20/hr or at least about $35-40k. Heck, work at a starbucks. They have great benefits. Or even an office job doing bookkeeping will pay you a decent amount of money.

What's will all the pizza delivery related pharmacy threads lately? LMFAO
Next new "service" will involve RPhs hunting down each patient to shove tabs/caps down said patients' throats each day @ exactly the correct time...all tracked logistically of course (#no being responsible for your own health outcomes anymore)

actually no one can be paid below minimum wage. that's illegal. and employers can be arrested for it

True, but there are 2 minimum wages, 1 for most people, and then the lower minimum wage for waitstaff. It sounds like the op is getting the minimum wage for waitstaff, which seems questionable for a pizza driver. Like you pointed out, if he isn't getting enough tips to bring his wage up to the regular minimum wage, then his employer must legally supplement it.

I work at CVS. I’ll pay you 50 bucks every day I work. All you have to do is park your delivery car in the drivethru lane for 7 hours.

Reactions: 18 users
True, but there are 2 minimum wages, 1 for most people, and then the lower minimum wage for waitstaff. It sounds like the op is getting the minimum wage for waitstaff, which seems questionable for a pizza driver. Like you pointed out, if he isn't getting enough tips to bring his wage up to the regular minimum wage, then his employer must legally supplement it.
no man. that's an urban legend. There is only ONE minimum wage and it's 7.25 for ALL jobs in the us. Yes some eateries may have a base wage of 2.75 USD but the eartery OWNER must LEGALLY pay the remaining wage up to 7.25 if the sever does not make that much in tips averaged out over a pay period. Now does that always have de facto? if it doesn't the sever can contact the federal police and have the restaurant shutdown and the owner put in federal prison. which does happen sometimes. There are not TWO minimum wages. I think you are confusing state/city minimum wages with federal minimum wage.

no man. that's an urban legend. There is only ONE minimum wage and it's 7.25 for ALL jobs in the us. Yes some eateries may have a base wage of 2.75 USD but the eartery OWNER must LEGALLY pay the remaining wage up to 7.25 if the sever does not make that much in tips averaged out over a pay period. Now does that always have de facto? if it doesn't the sever can contact the federal police and have the restaurant shutdown and the owner put in federal prison. which does happen sometimes. There are not TWO minimum wages. I think you are confusing state/city minimum wages with federal minimum wage.

I’m reporting all of you to the federal police. What’s their number? I think it’s 912 right? 911 is local. 912 for the Federales.

My friend is looking for 6 months in Houston, TX. No job. He has 6-7 yrs experience. He is pretty good too. I guess it is that bad nowadays. He is considering residency now.

I met a guy with a house in LA, works in Imperial Valley, that's 3hr drive. He is a frequent flyer of motel 6.

yea but houston texas is a desirable urban area and super saturated

Seemingly my doctorate and license are just worthless pieces of paper ... No one is hiring. ... Honestly, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. ... Yesterday was my first day of work as a pizza delivery driver. Made a total of $42 in 7 hours of work. Basically I wasted the past 6 years of my life just to deliver pizza.

You're not getting hired because you're depressed. You're depressed because you're not getting hired.

I'm a former pizza delivery driver and currently unemployed pharmacist who can't find a job. What I see in your post, is that your situation has made you depressed and you're not seeing things accurately. It's coming across in your language with words like: worthless, wasted, everywhere, no one, everyday, desperate. If you're speaking with managers with this language, you won't get a job. As for pizza delivery, it's really all about Friday night -- once you know what you're doing, you can make $300 on a Friday night in tips, a little more including paid wages. So $42 midweek on your first day makes sense, and is no way for a pharmacist to live, but don't let that be a negative thought to prove that your life is wasted. My recommendations are to read up on cognitive behavioral therapy (start with: catastrophizing and polarizing thinking) to help you get a more positive attitude, and see a therapist or talk with a trusted friend instead of some guy off the internet. Right now, you're feeling hopeless, so you're going to hate that idea and are probably thinking of reasons why I'm wrong and how it will never work. But maybe it's worth a little try.

Hi have you tried applying in west Texas? i tried to send you a private message but couldn't.

There are not TWO minimum wages. I think you are confusing state/city minimum wages with federal minimum wage.

Yes, there are 2 minimum wages. There is a minimum wage that can be paid to waitstaff (and then as you said, if they still make less than the regular minimum wage, the employer must supplement it up to the regular minimum wage. You can call it a "base wage" if you want, but it is the minimum wage that must be paid (and then the rest can be made up in tips.) But the employer can't pay someone 50cents/hr, even if they make enough in tips to bring them up to the regular minimum wage, the employer has to pay the waitstaff minimum wage.

“It's coming across in your language with words like: worthless, wasted, everywhere, no one, everyday, desperate. If you're speaking with managers with this language, you won't get a job.

OP: this is very well said. Look here and reevaluate your approach. You’ll be surprised how things will turn around for you when you ACCEPT your current Situation and act from a place of strength and not a victim of your current reality.

Cheer on and keep working at it.
Good luck in your job hunt.

Why working as a Pizza delivery driver and get $42 in 7 hour shift??? There are a lot of other jobs that you can do in medical and non medical field that pay better. Renew your technician license and work as a technician maybe one day the store will hire you as a pharmacist. I don't get it why you are working this kind of job right now :(

OP have you looked out of state? There's always posts here about those Indian reservations in Idaho.

What about real estate? Lots of money to be made with no barrier to entry or skills required.
You realize Texas is like the size of like 10 states combined. This guy most likely is a troll or he refuses to look outside of his town. I know people here in the dfw area they are unemployed for nine months because they think retail is beneath them.

Why working as a Pizza delivery driver and get $42 in 7 hour shift??? There are a lot of other jobs that you can do in medical and non medical field that pay better. Renew your technician license and work as a technician maybe one day the store will hire you as a pharmacist. I don't get it why you are working this kind of job right now :(
dude pizza isn't that bad. You can make 200-500 a night in a busy student town. Ofc there is wear and tear on your car and the worst is the high risk of robbery as we carry not only our own cash on us but also the stores cash. So at the end of the night I might have 700 USD on me. The young thugs know this in the city and often I would get "ghost" calls out to alley ways in low income neighborhoods. The owner of the pizza shop had two 9mm handguns on him. ofc i never got robbed but I did give drunk college chicks free rides :)

OP deserves the life he is curating.