LICENSING QUEsTION

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYSLicense

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Yall!

I have a question regarding licensing.

I graduated med school in 2003.
Went immediately into a surgery residency. recently left the residency becaue I decided that I wanted to go into primary care. however, I missed the match and will therefore likely be starting in July of 07. That being said, I will have a gap in my training of about a year and a half.

Is that going to be an obstacle will regrads to getting my NY License or any state license for that matter?

Also, does anyone know if I will have a funding issue when I go to start my new residency in 2007?

thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you looked for a July 1 2006 spot in FP? I know there must be spots open.

where would I look for open FP spots?

Thanks

IF I were you, if you can pay to keep your license current, do so. Otherwise you'll have to explain "gaps" in your licensure every time you apply for a license, which could cause delays (keep in mind it's a slow process as it is) if they need to do a review before approving you. Dunno how it works in NY, but some states are more demanding than others regarding gaps in licensure, even with just a training license.

Actually, you often have to explain gaps in your medical practice or training (anything longer than 1 month). Some states make you take the SPEX exam if you haven't been in practice or a residency for a certain period of time. Get into a residency, do a prelim medicine year, work as GP in Alaska, but try to find some type of medical practice pursuit to fill that year.