Licensure, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drfunktacular

ANA ≠ SLE
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading this thread on the ENT forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=379824

It basically talks about what a nightmare it is to get state license, DEA license, hospital privileges, billing arrangements with 3rd-party payors, etc etc. :scared: I was just curious, how do these things apply to radiology? I would assume you need at least state license and hospital arrangements of some kind, and possibly the 3rd-party/medicare setup. Is it significantly different from other fields, or pretty much the same?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it significantly different from other fields, or pretty much the same?

It is pretty much the same.

Once you have a license, you might want to get your DEA done. Yes, it is costly, but transferring a DEA from one state to the other is pretty straightforward (days instead of months).

If you know where you are going to work, it is a good idea to get that state license and DEA done up front. Everything else (hospital credentialing, malpractice, insurance plan credentialing) is tied to those two. Having them in hand reduces the losses incurred during the first couple of months of practice due to uncollectable insurance payments.