Licensure options - Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neopharma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...to be licensed in more than 1 state, there's reciprocity...score transfer...and endorsement.

Reciprocity, from what I understand, is used when you've been licensed for at least 1 year and you want to get another license somewhere else.
Also, from what I understand, you must always keep up the license from that very first state you get licensed in, or you have to take the NAPLEX and MPJE again in order to get licensed anywhere else ever again? Please correct anything I'm wrong about.

If you initially get licensed in more than 1 state, do you need to always keep up those same two licenses for the same reason?

Struggling with all this, so any help is appreciated. I've looked through old posts and googled but I'm not sure if I'm interpreting correctly.

I didn't realize there were still states out there that won't allow FL license for reciprocation purposes. Therefore, I've been wondering if I should initially get licensed in FL *and* another state so if I ever wanted to reciprocate to one of these states, maybe my other state's license would be sufficient?

Help! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I just researched this. I'm a new graduate and will be licensed in 2 states using the score transfer option, which appears to the easiest for "new" graduates. I selected "score transfer" when I initially ordered/paid for the Naplex and Law exams, so that it will be automatically transferred. After I take my primary state law, I will then take the secondary state law exam. I will keep the licenses active in both states, but you are correct, you need at least one active (primary).

I'm not sure if this helped or not but it appears to be easier for new graduates to set everything up from the start, than to add or or change things later. Almost forgot there is a 1-2 year deadline to take the law exam for the secondary state you had your score transferred to. I'm not sure of Fl law or procedures but if you are not definitely sure you will test in your secondary state within the next year or 2 it may not be worth it.

Thanks for the helpful reply. Everyone should do their own research to confirm the specifics with their respective states. This is something too important to leave to a random forum!

I remember seeing a chart on the NABP's website about licensure transfer for each state. Each state is different so check it out.

Thanks for the replies. I do understand that each state is going to have different policy, but I was looking for a general go-over of the different options (score transfer, reciprocity, etc). I'll keep looking.