Life advice for a fatigued student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

community project

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
By posting this I am hoping to get some advice and find direction in my life. I do not know if it is in my best interests to pursue more education, even though medicine has been a dream of mine for a long time. There has been much talk on these forums about the debt/income ratio, and whether or not it is worth all the sacrifice. I have been financially independent since I was 17, so I have worked my way through college. I am currently a senior with $40,000 of educational debt.


I am a senior sociology student with a sub-par GPA of 3.3. I have C’s in a few prerequisites, which are due to the period of time when my father had a stroke and became incapacitated. During that time, I became his legal conservator and caregiver, and it affected my academic performance.


As far as ECs go I have tutored/mentored, coached baseball, and volunteered at a variety of places. I am currently working at CVS as a pharmacy technician. I also have an EMT license but I could not find a job. I have not taken any entrance exams yet, but I believe I could do well on them.


I am struggling trying to keep my head above water, and I would like to have a career ASAP. I would like your honest opinions. Should I keep working until I am accepted, or do I pursue other avenues? Do I really have a shot at getting into a professional school (MD, DO, PA, or PharmD.)? Would it require taking more classes to repair my GPA? For those of you who know what the field is like, is it worth it? Would it be worth it for you, if you were in my shoes?


I really appreciate any feedback!!
 
I think your GPA is fine. Why not continue to look for a EMT job until you finally get one then use it to get the hours to apply to PA school. You want a job "ASAP" like you said so that's only 2 years and decent job prospects. Or find a different job to get the healthcare hours for PA school, then when your working take any additional classes you need.
 
PA would be fastest route for a career for sure. Probably the cheapest option too. DO or MD wouldn't be bad either but you will have to consider the residency and all the extra work involved.... If you do a specialty role MD role, the financial benefit could be worth it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.