Life as an older student

Started by Bisbee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is great reading about all the experiences people have had as older students (though some of you don't seem all that old, seriously, and can probably "pass" as a younger student and not have to endure any stares or comments). Flyhi seems like she's a 20-something in a 40-something body (lucky you... I'm more like SOV with some aging physical issues). LIS is trying so hard to balance family and school. This I admire beyond the beyonds because it's something I never could achieve (my kids are grown up now, so maybe...) What I get out of all the comments is that it all works out no matter your age.

Also, Squirrelsrule, I have always been intrigued when little bits of your story have come out. Thanks for sharing the whole thing. What a life you've lived (so far)! You've learned so much (academic and about life) in such a short time. It's good that you don't have regrets about social things you may have missed and are always up for whatever comes next.
 
admitting math is not my strong suit...isn't being in my 4th decade equal to over 40? 😕 If I were to say I'm in my 40th year, I would be 39, but not sure that works when using decades. I dunno, but yes, I'm 40.75 years old 😀 Either way, it's irrelevant...I fit into the OF (Old Fogeys) group

Lol! I didn't mean to sound so pedantic, flyhi.... I was just surprised because I thought you were closer to my age (which you are). Not to rain on your parade, but we're in our 5th decade. ;-) (0-9 = 1st, 10-19 = 2nd, 20-29 = 3rd, etc.)

Numbers suck. 😉
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ah, there are many good things about the 5th decade... I certainly feel a lot more comfortable with the person I am than I did 20 years ago, and that's not a bad place to be.

Sorry to come to this discussion so late, but thanks, Bisbee, for starting this. It's interesting and encouraging to hear from others in the same boat. My own experiences are mostly similar. I don't know that I need more sleep now, because I really never did well after pulling an all-nighter. I just didn't want to admit that when I was younger. I'm definitely less willing to go without sleep these days. Usually I can pull through the next day after little sleep, although tasks involving a lot of concentration are extremely difficult.

I do find it harder to learn laundry lists of things without some sort of context, but experience in other areas helps me a lot. I don't get so upset or disheartened about small things as I used to, so it's easier to keep working through challenges and to remember that these are temporary. Sometimes I catch myself thinking how quickly time marches on, regardless of whether I want it to or not. Good when you know that something unpleasant will likely be over shortly, but at the same time, it makes you realize that life is pretty short.

On that note, I guess I should stop procrastinating and get to work!
 
KM - You are so right about that "time marches on" feeling. Sometimes I wonder where the years have gone! Yes also about the small things not being such a big deal. Sometimes even the big things aren't such a big deal (compared to what some people go through with illness and family issues). Even though I've been rejected by 2/3 schools so far, I'm okay and know I will continue to be okay. These things don't deject me the way they did when I was young. But hey...I'm still hoping for Penn!
 
I do believe, though, that I bring some general life experience to the picture that slightly offsets the youth advantage. By no means completely, but I have a much easier time relating to professionals and teachers than some of the younger people in my class.

Thanks LIS (I met you last night and today at UofM, I was the one mentioning SDN)...It's good to see your advice...I'm pushing 40 (not quite there yet, but close enough!) and with the whole interview process have found that I'm not as nervous/shy as I was when I was younger...so for me, the whole process (however it may turn out) has been a learning experience of how I've changed as a person. I see some of the younger faces looking petrified and shy, as I was in my early 20s about most things (interviewing for jobs, talking to professors), and I can completely empathize! Now I'm going to go take my hot bath to get rid of my stiff knees and aching neck 😉
 
Lol! I didn't mean to sound so pedantic, flyhi.... I was just surprised because I thought you were closer to my age (which you are). Not to rain on your parade, but we're in our 5th decade. ;-) (0-9 = 1st, 10-19 = 2nd, 20-29 = 3rd, etc.)

Numbers suck. 😉

Aw, hell fire. I give up. I'm an old fart, cranky, probably soon-to-be-peri-menopausal and now paying attention to 'miracle wrinkle-free cream' ads on early, early AM infomercial channels since my antiquated self can't sleep anymore. What else do you need to know? 😡 Cripes
 
I'm still drinking..... and headed to South FL this week for some R&R. Does that 'splain it? :scared:


Was it really that horrible?!!! Please, please say "no"....I am halfway through the Kaplan Biology review, the first book of the series and thinking it's not too bad. I'm trying to ignore the fact that there is a Physics Review. I think I'll do everything else before I tackle that. Anyway, I'm sure that, no matter what, you are all freaked out because it was hard and you don't have your scores yet. I bet (in fact I'm sure) you did way better than you're thinking. Have a great, relaxing time in FL and try hard not to think about that MCAT too much. As a wise man (my husband) always tells me after exams, "Don't lose sight of the most important thing....it's over."