Life at USN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisochka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sorry if I repeat somebody...But I looked through SDN and did not find an answer to my question...
1) What is up with laptops? I thought it was a mandatory thing to buy a laptop from USN? Can I buy my own laptop? As I understood from one topic here on SDN I don't even need a laptop, as long as I have a desktop at home, right?
So, do I have to buy USN's laptop? Can I just go by with my desktop at home?

2) Do they provide you with an internet access? Or if I want to have an internet at home I would have to have my own provider?

3) Curriculum....How do people make 90% on the tests.... I got 4.0 for the last few semesters, but not every test I scored 90%. Some tests were in 80-th percentile, some tests were in a high 90-th... So it averaged ok... I did get an A in Ochem, but I feel like it was kind of a miracle....
I don't know...It is just freaks me out to fail if you get a 85% on a test. And if you fail 3 tests they kick you out of the program...

Are the questions on the tests application or regurgitation? How do you people do it?

4) where to rent? Is Henderson a good area to rent? I have a small child, so I need a safe district...At the same time, I don't want to commute to school for 2 hours.

5) do they really lecture you every day from 8 am till 3 pm?
6) what is this "every other friday on site" thing? As I understood you go to a pharmacy they assign you and do a project. What kind of project?

7) How do you pay for the school? 40K a year is a lot! is it hard to get a loan? I already have about 6K in student loans. I also have a car loan (6K) and a 30K mortgage (not in Nevada) I work as a pharm tech and make about 400$ a month. My credit score is good. Do you think it would be hard to get a school loan for me? I know that subsidized and unsubsidized do not go by your credit score, but private loans do. Could there be a point that I would not be able to get a loan for school?

anyway, guys please do post here what ever you could share with us....
thank you so much in advance

Members don't see this ad.

So glad that someone finally asked some of these questions and I'm not the only one worried about them. I think that the laptop thing is mandatory b/c our textbooks are supposedly going to be loaded onto them. I'm not sure about the internet access thing. I used to live in Vegas...graduated from UNLV. The nicest places to live are Henderson, Summerlin and even Blue Diamond is nice. Everything is 15 minutes away from everything else. (Maybe 30 minutes with traffic)

Can't wait to hear some other responses to this question!

I am sorry if I repeat somebody...But I looked through SDN and did not find an answer to my question...
1) What is up with laptops? I thought it was a mandatory thing to buy a laptop from USN? Can I buy my own laptop? As I understood from one topic here on SDN I don't even need a laptop, as long as I have a desktop at home, right?

2) Do they provide you with an internet access? Or if I want to have an internet at home I would have to have my own provider?

3) Curriculum....How do people make 90% on the tests.... I got 4.0 for the last few semesters, but not every test I scored 90%. Some tests were in 80-th percentile, some tests were in a high 90-th... So it averaged ok... I did get an A in Ochem, but I feel like it was kind of a miracle....
I don't know...It is just freaks me out to fail if you get a 85% on a test. And if you fail 3 tests they kick you out of the program...

Are the questions on the tests application or regurgitation? How do you people do it?

4) where to rent? Is Henderson a good area to rent? I have a small child, so I need a safe district...At the same time, I don't want to commute to school for 2 hours.

6) what is this "every other friday on site" thing? As I understood you go to a pharmacy they assign you and do a project. What kind of project?

7) How do you pay for the school? 40K a year is a lot! is it hard to get a loan? I already have about 6K in student loans. I also have a car loan (6K) and a 30K mortgage (not in Nevada) I work as a pharm tech and make about 400$ a month. My credit score is good. Do you think it would be hard to get a school loan for me? I know that subsidized and unsubsidized do not go by your credit score, but private loans do. Could there be a point that I would not be able to get a loan for school?

thank you so much in advance

Can't wait to hear some other responses to this question!
me too.....
but seems that no one wants to put their input.... :(

Members don't see this ad :)

You need a laptop. Lecture you connect with laptop and stuff. You can buy your own, well at least for my year (06-07). Just buy a cheap laptop, it'll do.
Yes, internet is at school. At home, you pay.
First year was freaken easy for me...like almost a joke. Second year (all therapeutics stuff) was really hard. I remediated a couple blocks but as you can see i still passed so it's quite doable. No, if you fail more than 3 blocks they kick you out of the program.

Depends on the prof. For the most part, memorize every **** there is, that's pharmacy for yah. You are basically a drug encyclopedia.

Yes, henderson and area around is good. I used to live 5 mins away from school. Very safe neighborhood.

You have discussions and stuff. Group stuff. Lunch. I played computer games during lecture. Lots of other people are watching movies on their laptops.
Depends on the site. Some projects are like do a research on how to use corticosteroid inhalers, how to counsel them, or find some different otc drugs and what they do. Other times, it's just bull**** slave labor work and standing around all day in a pharmacy and doing clerk/tech work.
Loans! Back when i went, the school wasnt fully accredited and I had to get private loans. Now you can get the stafford loans and stuff. I heard you can get up to 35k/yr in loans. There are always banks willing to lend because they feel as a pharmacist you can pay back so it wont matter what you do now. shoot, half the class doesnt even work and they get huge loans so this shouldnt even be a problem.

Hope that helps, pm me if you want to know more.

thank you so much in advance[/QUOTE]

thank you so much for your reply

Back when i went, the school wasnt fully accredited and I had to get private loans. Now you can get the stafford loans and stuff. I heard you can get up to 35k/yr in loans.
well...tuition now is almost 40K a year. Do you mean 35K of Government (subsidized/unsubsidized) loans? I was hoping to get 40K for tuition and about 15K for living expenses (rent, food, gas, child care)
There are always banks willing to lend because they feel as a pharmacist you can pay back so it wont matter what you do now. shoot, half the class doesnt even work and they get huge loans so this shouldnt even be a problem.

I am just really worried about the economy. It seems its really hard to get a loan now, hopefully it is not the case with the student loans...

When I went to Henderson for my interview, they were pretty adamant about each student having to purchase their laptop. I'm pretty bummed because I just got a beautiful laptop for Christmas. They said that it makes it easier for their tech department to help if we have any problems.

Lisochka:
Have you received your Financial Aid paperwork yet? Did you send any information with your acceptance paperwork about financial aid stuff back to the school? I received e-mails from Dr. DeYoung saying that my seat was reserved and another saying they received by declination of the student health insurance, but I've heard nothing about the financial aid. I'm stressed about that, b/c I'm wondering if they give you enough to live on as well as tuition money. :shrug:

When I went to Henderson for my interview, they were pretty adamant about each student having to purchase their laptop. I'm pretty bummed because I just got a beautiful laptop for Christmas. They said that it makes it easier for their tech department to help if we have any problems.
:shrug:

it seemed to me that it was sort of a mandatory thing to buy their laptop....

Lisochka:
Have you received your Financial Aid paperwork yet? Did you send any information with your acceptance paperwork about financial aid stuff back to the school? I received e-mails from Dr. DeYoung saying that my seat was reserved and another saying they received by declination of the student health insurance, but I've heard nothing about the financial aid. I'm stressed about that, b/c I'm wondering if they give you enough to live on as well as tuition money.

I have not sent any tax returns with my acceptance letter. (do I need to do it now or should I wait till they send me the FinAid package?) I did mark the box that I will need a fin aid.
I ahve not received any emails from Dr DeYoung yet :(

It would suck if they gave only money for tuition. How are we suppose to rent, eat, etc...?

I was wondering the same thing about the tax return information. I've sent Dr. DeYoung an email about that. I'll let you know what he says. I've been so worried about having enough money to "live on" that I've been hoarding stuff that I'm not sure I'll have the money to buy...i.e. shampoo, conditioner...I know I'll be stressed until I find the answer to these questions! :eek:

it seemed to me that it was sort of a mandatory thing to buy their laptop....

I have not sent any tax returns with my acceptance letter. (do I need to do it now or should I wait till they send me the FinAid package?) I did mark the box that I will need a fin aid.
I ahve not received any emails from Dr DeYoung yet :(

It would suck if they gave only money for tuition. How are we suppose to rent, eat, etc...?

I was wondering the same thing about the tax return information. I've sent Dr. DeYoung an email about that. I'll let you know what he says. I've been so worried about having enough money to "live on" that I've been hoarding stuff that I'm not sure I'll have the money to buy...i.e. shampoo, conditioner...I know I'll be stressed until I find the answer to these questions! :eek:

hopefully people who went through this will chime in and give us some feedback

Ok...so I got a response from Dr. DeYoung. He said that the Financial Aid office should send out a packet about what is needed to obtain financial aid, but that I should contact the office if I don't hear anything by May 22nd. So I guess I'll try to be patient until then.

Hi, so I got the news in Feb that I was accepted this year to the South Jordan campus... the financial aid advisor will email you your award letter after you have filled out your online FAFSA.
Once you get your award letter (this will have information about what forms they need you to print off USN's website), you need to choose a lender you want to borrow from, then go through the lender's website to apply for subsidized, unsubsidized, grad-PLUS, or private loans... and you also need to fill out a MPN through your chosen lender.
I would apply for the subsidized and unsubsidized loans first then apply for your grad-PLUS loans. I am going through Discover Financial student loans... and I already got approved to borrow about $64K for the 1st year alone (even though I will not be borrowing that much). Most people should not have problems getting student loans for living expenses...
Hope this info helps! If not, just call the financial aid advisor at the campus you are attending! They are super nice and helpful...

Have you received your Financial Aid paperwork yet? Did you send any information with your acceptance paperwork about financial aid stuff back to the school? I received e-mails from Dr. DeYoung saying that my seat was reserved and another saying they received by declination of the student health insurance, but I've heard nothing about the financial aid. I'm stressed about that, b/c I'm wondering if they give you enough to live on as well as tuition money. :shrug:

I was also kind of confused for a while... but I talked to financial aid and got some insight. Here's the process as I understand it:

1) Send the acceptance papers to the Registrar, which includes the following:
-Signed Acceptance
-Tuition Deposit
-Registration and Payment Agreement
-US Citizenship Documentation (if you haven't already sent it)

2) Send the following to the respective financial aid office (Utah/Nevada):
-Graduate Supplemental Form
-2009-2010 Verification Worksheet
-2008 Tax Return

3)The Registrar will send a copy of your letter of acceptance to Financial Aid.

4) Financial Aid will send you your award letter after receiving the acceptance letter.

5) After receiving your award letter, you can begin to fill out the Stafford and GradPlus (and Private) Loan Request Forms and submit to Financial Aid.

6) You'll also need to apply for the student loan from your preferred Lender, sign a Master Promissory Note.

7) Finally, take the Entrance Loan Counseling session online.

If you get all of the federal loans available including the grad plus you can get about $66,000 a year.

I was also kind of confused for a while... but I talked to financial aid and got some insight. Here's the process as I understand it:

1) Send the acceptance papers to the Registrar, which includes the following:
-Signed Acceptance
-Tuition Deposit
-Registration and Payment Agreement
-US Citizenship Documentation (if you haven't already sent it)

2) Send the following to the respective financial aid office (Utah/Nevada):
-Graduate Supplemental Form
-2009-2010 Verification Worksheet
-2008 Tax Return

3)The Registrar will send a copy of your letter of acceptance to Financial Aid.

4) Financial Aid will send you your award letter after receiving the acceptance letter.

5) After receiving your award letter, you can begin to fill out the Stafford and GradPlus (and Private) Loan Request Forms and submit to Financial Aid.

6) You'll also need to apply for the student loan from your preferred Lender, sign a Master Promissory Note.

7) Finally, take the Entrance Loan Counseling session online.

Is the school supposed to send us the stuff you listed in number 2? I don't think I have any of those forms...

Is the school supposed to send us the stuff you listed in number 2? I don't think I have any of those forms...

The first 2 are on the website under a financial aid section. Your 2008 tax return you should have a copy of...or your parents or your cpa or whoever did them.

Well, yeah, I was mostly referring to where to get the first two forms... not the tax return... But anyway, thanks.