Life Experiences & Studying Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musashi

Ninja Paramedic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Moderators, I apologize in adavance for the double post. I thought I might get more opinions and feedback from this forum than from the pre-allo forum.

I’m wondering how adcoms view students who have lived abroad and/or studied abroad. I went to college for a year in Japan when I was 26 and want to incorporate my experience into my ps. I’m sure they probably don’t care that I learned to speak Japanese but was curious if this experience abroad is looked upon favorably or “who cares.” I keep hearing folks on this site talk about how adcoms like life experiences and such so am curious as to what you guys think. Because I’m a nontrad who doesn’t have an extensive science background or a 4.0 gpa I’m trying to sell myself in other ways. Since I’ve come back from Japan in 2000 I’ve owned my own dojo and have taught martial arts (Aikido) full time. This has been my income for the past 8 years or so. I’ve realized that I’m lacking in other areas. I’m now a paramedic student (finishing my prereqs) who still teaches Aikido part time. It feels a little weird at times chatting with some of my younger classmates in prereq classes who tell me they have wanted to be a physician their whole life etc. The first time this thought EVER entered my mind was at the age of 33. I do have some hope though. I met a med student the other day from my local med school who was a white-water river guide before entering med school and he told me there is a former NFL player and a ballerina in his class. I guess not all med schools want Mr./Ms. Biology. It’s kinda interesting how life works. We all have our different journeys and I feel that my first 34 years on this planet were in preparation for part II of my life.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the Admissions Committee values unique experiences - and especially so from 'unusual applicants'. You have plenty of outstanding and unique experiences. However, GPA and MCAT scores are pretty much what they use in their decision to invite an applicant to interview. Teaching martial arts (taekwondo) was my first job in the U.S., though I didn't emphasize it in my application. Perseverance is most definitely transferable between martial arts and applying to medical school, though! Good luck!