Life in the Navy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calident562

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations about joining to Navy vs. the Air Force. Do dentists in the Navy have the opportunity to travel more?

I was also wondering if more Navy dentists get called back for service during their years of inactive service.. (I am considering the HPSP)

Members don't see this ad.

Just speaking from what the Air Force HPSP students have been told at my school, it sounds like during your pay-back years for an HPSP scholarship the Air Force does not typically let you be stationed overseas.

I know this is not the case with the Army and the Navy as I personally know new grads that have got assignments in Germany (Army) and Japan (Navy) right out of school.

Just speaking from what the Air Force HPSP students have been told at my school, it sounds like during your pay-back years for an HPSP scholarship the Air Force does not typically let you be stationed overseas.

I know this is not the case with the Army and the Navy as I personally know new grads that have got assignments in Germany (Army) and Japan (Navy) right out of school.

Not necessarily true. I'm on the AF scholarship, and I know 2 airforce people who were stationed in Japan.

And as far as Germany. I had heard a lot of rumors about dentists stationed in Germany being deployed to Iraq, and then finally this year it happened to a friend of mine, got deployed out there from Germany for a year (he was on the Army scholarship though). Not sure if it's common, but just a heads up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not necessarily true. I'm on the AF scholarship, and I know 2 airforce people who were stationed in Japan.

And as far as Germany. I had heard a lot of rumors about dentists stationed in Germany being deployed to Iraq, and then finally this year it happened to a friend of mine, got deployed out there from Germany for a year (he was on the Army scholarship though). Not sure if it's common, but just a heads up.

Ya, as I said the info on the Air Force was just what the HPSP students at my school had been told from their Air Force contacts.

I have also heard similar concerning the Germany situation as of recent but don't know anyone as you do that has actually been sent.

If you guys are worried about being deployed do not join. Join with the expectation of getting sent to the front. Then you won't be disappointed. Joining for the money is a stupid idea and you are cowards if you say you will do something then spend your time trying to avoid the consequences. Nothing in life is for free. There is a reason they give you all of the benefits and it is not because they like you.

I don't think anyone that joins the military is a coward even those who sometimes refuse to fight. Millions of Americans never bother to serve at all. Are they all cowards?

People join the service and ther respective branches for different reasons, but let's not assume that everyone joins the military out of patriotism. I would argue that testosterone rules the military more than patriotism.

If you join the military or already have, then you had your own reasons. Obviously, you must believe in them strongly, but allow others the courtesy to have their own convictions for service or lack of serivce, which is what an all-volunteer service is all about.