Life Science or Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phazedx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which degree gives you, the more benefit (knowledge) toward the mcat and meeical school. I know the BS Life Science degree at my school is a teaching degree one BUT the science courses include:
Biology 1/2
Chemistry 1/2
Genetics
Cell biology
Invertebrate Zoology
Senior seminar
General ecology
Evo Biology
And 9sh upper science courses electives.

I know this doesnt entail physicd cause its not on the degree plan, but then again you can always take orgo 1/2, physics 1/2, and a biochemistry course as electices if you wanted to.

Whereas the biology degree is concrete. Meaning mostly everyone knows it comes with a chemistry minor. Major requirements = bio 1/2 and then x amount of sh of upper electives allowing you to take orgo 1/2 and the other pre reqs AND includes physics in the degree plan.

I guess in the life science degree I dont have to do the teaching part freeing up a ton of electives to take.

My grade in college alg 1 is a D, Bio 1 is a D and basic fundamentals (prereq to) C. (Going to retake those anyways) but I feel like the life science degree will challenge myself in the sciences and provide an intellectual stimulate I know about the orgo 1/2 physics and biochem.

I will be a non trad student. After that bad semster I went into the air force and have had about 2 years off of school. jot including the credits I got from tech school (ccaf)

As of now my gpa is a 2.15. I will be getting to a 3.5 this coming semster. And will maintain that.

Need some help!

Members don't see this ad.

Just take whichever one allows you to take courses that interest you more. Every possible topic on the MCAT is covered in GB 1/2, chem 1/2, organic 1/2, physics 1/2. All of the courses you listed for the life science degree have relevance to medicine, as do the courses a standard biology degree will entail.

I say this as someone with a BS in ecology and evolution, and an MA in microbial and molecular biology.

Last edited:
Sweet! Thanks a lot. I just want to be prepared as much as possible. I just really like a challenge and science to me is a amazing subject

Take whichever one interests you the most.

Which degree gives you, the more benefit (knowledge) toward the mcat and meeical school. I know the BS Life Science degree at my school is a teaching degree one BUT the science courses include:
Biology 1/2
Chemistry 1/2
Genetics
Cell biology
Invertebrate Zoology
Senior seminar
General ecology
Evo Biology
And 9sh upper science courses electives.

I know this doesnt entail physicd cause its not on the degree plan, but then again you can always take orgo 1/2, physics 1/2, and a biochemistry course as electices if you wanted to.

Whereas the biology degree is concrete. Meaning mostly everyone knows it comes with a chemistry minor. Major requirements = bio 1/2 and then x amount of sh of upper electives allowing you to take orgo 1/2 and the other pre reqs AND includes physics in the degree plan.

I guess in the life science degree I dont have to do the teaching part freeing up a ton of electives to take.

My grade in college alg 1 is a D, Bio 1 is a D and basic fundamentals (prereq to) C. (Going to retake those anyways) but I feel like the life science degree will challenge myself in the sciences and provide an intellectual stimulate I know about the orgo 1/2 physics and biochem.

I will be a non trad student. After that bad semster I went into the air force and have had about 2 years off of school. jot including the credits I got from tech school (ccaf)

As of now my gpa is a 2.15. I will be getting to a 3.5 this coming semster. And will maintain that.

Need some help!