Lifestyle: Any sunday meal preppers here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

witzelsucht

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ICU coming up. What are your favorite big-batch setups? Will probably do at least one big batch of rice 'n beans with andouille sausage, what else you got?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently made some palak paneer and chicken tikka masala, both in a slow cooker. If you're into Indian food both are good options and relatively easy to make if you've got a good sized crockpot (mine is 5 quarts) and a food processor.
Fried chicken is another easy thing I like to make in big batches, as well as beans and rice and beef stew/pot roast. I think crockpots are the way to go for this sort of thing since they don't take hardly any management once you've got your ingredients in there!

Reactions: 1 user
I swear by this:

http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-on-a-bottle-323950

We call it "bagaack!! chicken for the imagined sound the chicken would make when applying the bottle.

I still do all the cooking on Sunday to feed the family for the bulk of the week; a habit I picked up in grad school.

picWSAs5c.jpg

ICU coming up. What are your favorite big-batch setups? Will probably do at least one big batch of rice 'n beans with andouille sausage, what else you got?

Reactions: 1 users
I swear by this:

http://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-on-a-bottle-323950

We call it "bagaack!! chicken for the imagined sound the chicken would make when applying the bottle.

I still do all the cooking on Sunday to feed the family for the bulk of the week; a habit I picked up in grad school.

picWSAs5c.jpg

I don't believe in making whole chickens when supermarkets make them better for cheaper than it is to make at home

both look good, will add to the line up! hopefully my grocery store has paneer cheese
Its easy to make non-aged cheese like paneer if you can't find it.

You mix whole milk with lemon juice or vinegar and some salt. The acid will curdle the milk and then pour off the whey, you press it into a pan, weight, cool and cut. I'm sure you can find a recipe with the directions.

Reactions: 3 users
Lasagna. Veggie or meat. All kinds of easy variations to suit your diet and food preferences (assuming you're not paleo or vegan). It's as easy to make 12 servings as it is to make 2 and freezes easily (before or after baking).

Soups and stews (chicken noodle, hearty belgian beef stew and split pea are all good this time of year in particular) are also easy, can be done in a crockpot and freeze/reheat well.

FWIW, I will occasionally put a roast in the crockpot and then make shredded beef and keep the broth. I can use the beef in tacos, chili, soup etc.

We do the same often, with 3-5 pounds of chicken breast in broth. Just add/rub on seasoning. Very versatile - sandwiches, rice bowls, enchiladas, etc... with like 5-10 minutes of prep. Plus chicken is always on sale at the grocery store.

We do the same often, with 3-5 pounds of chicken breast in broth. Just add/rub on seasoning. Very versatile - sandwiches, rice bowls, enchiladas, etc... with like 5-10 minutes of prep. Plus chicken is always on sale at the grocery store.

I have to be in the mood for chicken because I hate picking away all those bones and cartilage when I'm done. I do enough of that at work!

I suppose I could do boneless chicken breastd in there with the same result

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any one have a pressure cooker?

I love my pressure cooker for easy meals after work. Pasta, sauce and Italian sausage is ready in 5 minutes! I haven't gotten too fancy, mostly pasta or rice. But I find a pork chop recipe I'm going to try this week.

Do you have any good pressure cooker recipes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

I love my pressure cooker for easy meals after work. Pasta, sauce and Italian sausage is ready in 5 minutes! I haven't gotten too fancy, mostly pasta or rice. But I find a pork chop recipe I'm going to try this week.

Do you have any good pressure cooker recipes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

No I was thinking of getting one because honestly the thing that stops me from cooking is that I get home late and I don't have time.

I'm also not big on left overs so I like the idea of being able to do something quicker that doesn't involve the microwave.

Toss a boneless pork roast in the crockpot with a can of root beer (or Coke). Cook on low 8 hrs or on high for 5 hrs. Shred the meat with a couple forks. Use some of it with some BBQ sauce to make pulled pork sandwiches. Fry some up (with seasonings) to make carnitas for tacos or burritos. One roast will make enough shredded pork for several meals.

Toss a boneless pork roast in the crockpot with a can of root beer (or Coke). Cook on low 8 hrs or on high for 5 hrs. Shred the meat with a couple forks. Use some of it with some BBQ sauce to make pulled pork sandwiches. Fry some up (with seasonings) to make carnitas for tacos or burritos. One roast will make enough shredded pork for several meals.

Awesome, try Dr. Pepper sometime as well!!!

I like to take a couple packages of chicken breast tenders, toss with olive oil, garlic salt, and lemon pepper, and roast on 400 degrees until cooked. While that's going I steam or sauté some veggies, then pack them all up in Tupperware. Lunch (gets packed the night before) is some bagged salad mix, chicken, veggie, cherry tomato and some cheese packed in a big bowl-style Tupperware with a small separate container of dressing. I also use the roast chicken throughout the week as a meal base (either in salad or to top a pasta dish, rice bowl, etc).

Any one have a pressure cooker?

Pressure cookers are amaze balls. Like a slow cooker but better.

I try to prep stuff to make my life easier. Like a giant sheet pan of random
vegetables in the oven to use during the week. Chicken bone broth made in the slow cooker from the leftovers of a rotisserie(put into your slow cooker, cover with water, add whatever spices you want and a tiny bit of vinegar, cook on low overnight, strain and freeze in ziplocs)

Oh as loopy as she seems gwyneth paltrows goop site has some great stuff. I've done batches of turkey meatballs from her recipe, those make life really easy.

Pressure cookers are amaze balls. Like a slow cooker but better.

I try to prep stuff to make my life easier. Like a giant sheet pan of random
vegetables in the oven to use during the week. Chicken bone broth made in the slow cooker from the leftovers of a rotisserie(put into your slow cooker, cover with water, add whatever spices you want and a tiny bit of vinegar, cook on low overnight, strain and freeze in ziplocs)

Oh as loopy as she seems gwyneth paltrows goop site has some great stuff. I've done batches of turkey meatballs from her recipe, those make life really easy.
Ok, as long as you aren't scrambling her "vagina eggs". ;)