Lifestyle before prestige...

Started by Jezzielin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jezzielin

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently set in my ranking list but find myself opting for program 'A' that is more my personality and feel for a residency I would think suit me better. instead of another program 'B' which is a very well known for IM. I have done most of my rotations at 'B' place and while I think that I would be happy there too, I am not sure it is a better environment for me, as I have gotten the opportunity to see the inner workings of this place. I feel that I would get a great education at both but 'B' seems to have a bit more politics in the residency curriculum and not as much support for residents from the program.

I just am asking if anyone has passed up a noted residency program for another that is less so. I guess I am having trouble knowing that I could graduate from a place with a "good name" and well known than a place still a good program but not nearly as well known. Why is this piddly issue bugging me?

Anyone?
 
Where do you want to be 5, 10, 20 years from now? Do you need B to get you there? If you don't "need" B, will the name and/or connections make the path easier?

You want to be a physician. I assume you want to be a good physician. Which program is best for YOU to help you get there?

If all else fails, I swear by the coin test. Flip a coin. If it comes up "wrong," you'll know.

Best of luck!
 
I spent tons of time weighing pros and cons of certain programs and making a spreadsheet and scoring each program trying to come up with the most logical way to rank them, but in the end I just didn't feel good about where the ranks ended up. For one reason or another certain programs appealed to me. I realized that any one of the programs I was ranking was good and could train me to be an excellent physician. In the end, I just went with how I felt at each one during my interview. I think it's best to make sure your going to be happy wherever your at since residency is so hard anyway.
I like the post above me, just see what your future goals are and which program can get you there. If they both can get you to your goals I would go with the one that you feel best about. Just my 2 cents.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sometimes going for big name programs can be quite flattering, even though the specialty may be a "second choice" specialty which you might get here..just remember..you've got be successful every day at such a place
(where there might even be some politics and not much support )...to be successful down the road after 15 years...the big name may give you an edge..but you will eventually get the name on your resume only if you can successfully toil every day ( for the next 3 years ) in the midst of some dirty politics at such programs..and sometimes you can get lost ( in the middle of nowhere ) and then tend to lose that motivation, and kill yourself everyday thinking that you could have taken a specialty better suited to your personality than this 'big name' program...
 
Yes, both can. I am looking to do IM witha possible Heme/Onc fellowship. I am not 100% sure I would like to go into fellowship but if I do, that would be the one. The 'B' program is more connected to fellowships. 'A' does not have many.

So considering I am not 100% sure and that 'A' could still get me there, I guess it makes sense. I am on my 3rd research project at 'B' hospital currently for Heme/Onc so that may help in the future...
 
i am in a very very similar boat and i am going with the less prestigious place that doesnt have connection with the major fellowship location... i hate the what if thoughts that linger in my mind but i also know that i have made the best decision for myself
 
I'm in the same boat too, and in fact am doing something with my rank list most people would find stark raving mad. But the heart wants what it wants. I think there's enough delayed gratification in medical training as it is-- to contemplate sacrificing happiness that your gut is clueing you in to is really nuts.

Part of the beauty of having a choice is exactly that. You don't have to make the same decisions as everyone else. Maybe well-trodden paths exist for a reason, but you don't have to live your life according to other people's rigid notion of "prestige".
 
I'm in the same boat too, and in fact am doing something with my rank list most people would find stark raving mad. But the heart wants what it wants. I think there's enough delayed gratification in medical training as it is-- to contemplate sacrificing happiness that your gut is clueing you in to is really nuts.

Part of the beauty of having a choice is exactly that. You don't have to make the same decisions as everyone else. Maybe well-trodden paths exist for a reason, but you don't have to live your life according to other people's rigid notion of "prestige".

This is a wonderful post to read at the eleventh hour. Thank you! I'm also going with my gut, and putting prestige aside when formulating my ROL.

Good luck!
 
I agree. Thank you all for posting on this topic! I have my ranking list in and confident that I made the right decision. Even if they end up passing on me and I end up at the other place or another, I know it will turn out to be just fine and I will still be at a great place. At least I have went in knowing I tried for what was best for me...

:luck:Good luck to all in the match and try to live life in your residency for not only your education but happiness and balance as well!:luck:
 
I agree. Thank you all for posting on this topic! I have my ranking list in and confident that I made the right decision. Even if they end up passing on me and I end up at the other place or another, I know it will turn out to be just fine and I will still be at a great place. At least I have went in knowing I tried for what was best for me...

:luck:Good luck to all in the match and try to live life in your residency for not only your education but happiness and balance as well!:luck:

exact same situation as you...ended up goin with my gut feeling which was the less prestigious program at #1...after 9pm i started doubting myself..thought i picked my #1 for the wrong reasons..theres no guarantee i'll even match there to begin with...just scary not having a clear favorite..
 
To the OP, I think your career goals really matter whether you go to a more prestigious program or one that is a better fit/environment. For people like me with no fellowships (RadOnc), there is no need to go to a place that you will not be happy and fulfilled. However, if you have your heart set and GI or Cardiology, then I would say that you should "suck it up" for three years to ensure that you will get that coveted spot and be happy for 25+ years as an attending physician.

The current match rate for Heme/Onc fellowships for US grads is about 90%, so you should be OK there. Heme/Onc is a great field and is what I would have done if I was unable to match into RadOnc. By the sound of your situation, you made the right move in going for the less "prestigious" program. Best of luck.
 
Thanks! I had a moment today at the other hospital where I was like, 'crap did I make a mistake' but I come back to feeling good about my decision. Eighter place I end up will work out fine 🙂.